Why isn't my GPS working?
Jwork980
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a new iPhone 6s plus a few weeks ago and I have never had accurate GPS on the phone. I am new to this area and rely heavily on maps, Waze, or Google maps to get me where I'm going. Since my GPS is unreliable, those services frequently being "rerouting" while I'm driving because it thinks I'm a mile away from where I actually am. Super frustrating to say the least. I have seen lots of threads on this problem, but would benefit from a step by step diagnosis to make sure I'm covering all the bases. I haven't taken any action yet on my side besides making sure my location is on for all of those wayfinding apps.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: GPS not working
Jwork980
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for checking back! I did the update through the computer and GPS is

working great!

On Saturday, March 19, 2016, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

What version of iOS do you have. Make sure you have updated to the latest version 9.2.1. Many have reported GPS problems fixed with the latest version.

Make sure you have wifi turned on, this helps if there is any wifi nearby to help the GPS initialize where the device is located. Many wifi fixed points have been mapped as a "known location."

Of course what you have above you also matters - Thick trees (less of a problem in winter), tall buildings, thick metal.

0 Likes
Jwork980
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Weth,

I have 9.2.1 on the phone. I always have wifi turned on. I noticed as I was driving home last night that the GPS seems pretty random and erratic. One second, it's dialed in, the next second I have a 2-mile radius for my location. This is on the highway with no buildings or structures overhead. I'm not sure what could be causing the erratic signal loss?

Thanks!

Jessica

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jessica, I want to ensure your iPhone 6S Plus GPS feature is working properly on your device. Let’s take a closer look.

Please follow these steps: http://vz.to/1MpI9bL to ensure “Location Services” are on and that the necessary “System Services” are all enabled as well. Keep me posted with your results.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jwork980
Enthusiast - Level 2

I applied another software update to my phone last night and I will say GPS worked perfectly to get me home last night! Hopefully that was the fix!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

What update did you do? 9.2.1 is the latest, and you said you were already on that. This is a known problem that was fixed with 9.2.1.

0 Likes
Jwork980
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was another 9.2.1 (which I thought was odd). My settings still show I have version 9.2.1 just as they did before.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jwork980, I would be lost if my GPS was not working. You stated you did an update? How is the GPS working after the update? How did you do the update from the phone or PC?
AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jwork980
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for checking back! I did the update through the computer and GPS is

working great!

On Saturday, March 19, 2016, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes