Why are my iMessages being sent through my e-mail address?
damom111
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded to iPhone 6 on Friday May 8, and all was well.  As of Sunday May 10, my imessaging is sending as email address instead of phone number.  I have tried turning off imessage and restarting phone.  Says waiting for activation for the last 28 hours.  When I go to Settings-Messages-Send & Receive it show my email address as checked and dark, my icloud address as dark, but not checked, my phone number is not checked and it is dim.  How can I fix this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: upgraded to iphone 6. as of last night imessaging is showing email address instead of phone numeer
Weth
Legend

On an iPhone, your device’s phone number will always appear in your Messages and FaceTime settings. This number normally appears greyed out and you cannot select or de-select it since it is usually enabled automatically by the iMessage and FaceTime cellular activation process. Under normal circumstances, this should be indicated by a checkmark beside the number.

If, however, a checkmark does not appear beside your number, it means that your iPhone has been unable to complete the iMessage activation process to verify your number. In this case, you will only be able to use your e-mail address for iMessage or FaceTime. In this case, you will probably see a “Waiting for Activation” message on the main Messages settings screen, right below the switch for toggling iMessage on or off.

The iMessage activation process works by sending an SMS message to Apple’s servers in order to verify your phone number. You must therefore have an active cellular plan on your device and be able to send and receive text messages. If you’re out of cellular coverage, do not have a cellular plan at all, or have SMS blocked on your account for some reason, you will not be able to use your phone number for iMessage or FaceTime, as Apple has no other way of verifying it.

If you’re sure that your cellular plan is active and supports standard SMS text messages, you can try to force reactivation by toggling iMessage OFF for a few minutes and then turning it back on. Restarting your device or removing and reinserting your SIM card may help as well.

Above is not my authorship, it is from http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/phone-number-inactive-in-imessage

View solution in original post

Re: upgraded to iphone 6. as of last night imessaging is showing email address instead of phone numeer
Weth
Legend

On an iPhone, your device’s phone number will always appear in your Messages and FaceTime settings. This number normally appears greyed out and you cannot select or de-select it since it is usually enabled automatically by the iMessage and FaceTime cellular activation process. Under normal circumstances, this should be indicated by a checkmark beside the number.

If, however, a checkmark does not appear beside your number, it means that your iPhone has been unable to complete the iMessage activation process to verify your number. In this case, you will only be able to use your e-mail address for iMessage or FaceTime. In this case, you will probably see a “Waiting for Activation” message on the main Messages settings screen, right below the switch for toggling iMessage on or off.

The iMessage activation process works by sending an SMS message to Apple’s servers in order to verify your phone number. You must therefore have an active cellular plan on your device and be able to send and receive text messages. If you’re out of cellular coverage, do not have a cellular plan at all, or have SMS blocked on your account for some reason, you will not be able to use your phone number for iMessage or FaceTime, as Apple has no other way of verifying it.

If you’re sure that your cellular plan is active and supports standard SMS text messages, you can try to force reactivation by toggling iMessage OFF for a few minutes and then turning it back on. Restarting your device or removing and reinserting your SIM card may help as well.

Above is not my authorship, it is from http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/phone-number-inactive-in-imessage