What are the best options for using my device in Colombia?
D_15

Planning a trip to Colombia South America. What would be my best option for using my iphone down there?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Colombia Service
Weth
Legend

You do not say which iPhone you have. If you have the iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6S, 6S Plus, or SE you will now have wifi calling available. This is free to add, and costs nothing to use in Columbia, other than a cost of using wifi, if there is any.

If you have these phones. When you get on the plan, turn on airplane mode and do not turn it off until you get back to the US. When you are in Columbia, turn on wifi only. When you are connected to wifi, you will see VZW-WiFi in the upper left corner where Verizon usually is. This means you can make calls as if you are in the USA. Phones calls to and from US numbers are free. Texts are free. If you call Columbia, it would be treated as a long distance call from the US.

You also have the $40 option as indicated above, which would allow you to leave cellular service on, have included local calls in Columbia, plus calls back home (up to 100 minutes before overage), 100 outgoing texts (unlimited incoming), and 100 MB data.

You can also mix and match these. So use wifi calling for calls and texts back home, and only use the 100 minutes and 100 outgoing texts for Columbia numbers.

Enjoy your trip.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

D@n, sounds like you have some exciting travel plans. To ensure that you have all that you need, what model iPhone do you have? We offer plans starting at $40.00 for 100 minutes, 100 sent messages, unlimited incoming messages, and 100 megabytes of data. Visit http://spr.ly/6585Bcgyc to find the right plan for your travel needs.
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You do not say which iPhone you have. If you have the iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6S, 6S Plus, or SE you will now have wifi calling available. This is free to add, and costs nothing to use in Columbia, other than a cost of using wifi, if there is any.

If you have these phones. When you get on the plan, turn on airplane mode and do not turn it off until you get back to the US. When you are in Columbia, turn on wifi only. When you are connected to wifi, you will see VZW-WiFi in the upper left corner where Verizon usually is. This means you can make calls as if you are in the USA. Phones calls to and from US numbers are free. Texts are free. If you call Columbia, it would be treated as a long distance call from the US.

You also have the $40 option as indicated above, which would allow you to leave cellular service on, have included local calls in Columbia, plus calls back home (up to 100 minutes before overage), 100 outgoing texts (unlimited incoming), and 100 MB data.

You can also mix and match these. So use wifi calling for calls and texts back home, and only use the 100 minutes and 100 outgoing texts for Columbia numbers.

Enjoy your trip.

Torchy84

I just spent 16 days at Colombia back in the end of Feb and March. Your best bet is too just sign up for a pre paid service wither either one of the 4 carriers. I used movistar while I was their. Coverage was great, but they sold me a [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] plan (17 bucks gets you 3 gigs of service, but it's divided into certain apps that you use... it's complete and utter nonsense). My gfs lives in the country and she uses claro and she was able to get service in all of Santa Marta, Cartagena and Bogota. I was using an iphone 6s btw.

On a side note, the my verizon sim switches you to tigo if that makes helps you out in any way. I quickly turned it off in fear that I was roaming.

0 Likes
col2016
Enthusiast - Level 1

Torchy 84, I have iPhone 6s and I'm planning to buy a Claro SIM card when I get to Colombia.

Question: if I use a prepaid Claro phone and data card, is the SIM card switching easy to do? Can you still use your regular apps and the same phone set up? And when you get back to the US are there any issues or problems re- installing the Verizon SIM card?

Thank you so much in advance for the info.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Col2016, it sounds like you are planning some major traveling. Fortunately, this phone is great for that type of use. Here is a link that provides the steps for changing that SIM card at http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/iphone-6s-sim-help/#inserting-and-removing-the-sim-card. While we cannot guarantee services when using the phone with an alternate provider, a great option is to speak with this provider to see what is offered with their plan. Once you are back in the states and using your VerizonSIM card, you would expect to have that full access on our network.

LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Sachingp

I am travel to Cartaghena, Colombia next week & would like to know if the "New Verizon plan" that I have will work the same way it did for me in Cabo SAN Luca?  I had to call Verizon and just let them know I was In Colombia and it was $2 a day surcharge.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You just need TravelPass on your account, you don't need to call them if you already have TravelPass active on your account.

However, the big difference is only Canada and Mexico are $2 per day. Columbia and most other covered countries are $10 per day to use your plan.

0 Likes
rixpush

You can buy a prepaid SIM card or rent a Pocket WiFi from www.padifly.com A lot cheaper than roaming!!

0 Likes
antfults1

Colombia*

0 Likes