Re: Very bad network coverage over the last month or so
goosewife
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be looking to see if anything comes out of this, thanks for starting the string!

Take care,

Denise Gosselin

imrbrett
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good luck getting a fix. I have had the same problem and have spent countless hours (about 25 hours) of troubleshooting with VZ. Their final answer was sell me a network extender or let me out of my contract for another provider. Very terrible solutions if you ask me.

I have:

Reset network settings

Restored phone and tested before restoring the backup

Messed with data roaming and Voice and data LTE settings (per VZ)

Replaced SIM card

Returned device and got a new one

I live in Peoria AZ and work in Downtown Phoenix AZ Bad service both areas

Was in Denver CO for work with same issues.

I've spoken with about 6 tier one tech support with very little help, just basic steps ive done over and over.

Talked to maybe 3-4 tier 2 tech support and i swear it was pulling teeth to get them to send me a new device even after the last tier 2 said test for a day and call back if not better and well send a phone. Communication between employees is terrible and even worse with the customer.

I kept getting texts "were still working on your ticket please allow 24-48 hours for an update"

would get same text 2 days later. after that they send a text saying "were still working on the ticket well get back to you when its done."

10 days later I call like "where we at? they say, "your ticket was closed a week ago and they said it was a spotty coverage area"

That was extremely annoying because i gave them three address, in 3 cities, and 2 states yet they only look at one.

Calls seem a bit spotty

texts work

but playing video or loading pages are the worst. I seriously sit there for like 20 minutes trying to watch a 2 minute video (very frustrating)

Download speed tests are never over 2mbps. Usually they are in the range of 0.10 - 0.30 Mbps

These issues have been going on for close to 2 months now. I do think it either has something to do with iPhone 6 and/or 6+ OR Apple's 8.3+ software.

I have since upgraded to 8.4 with no resolution. It should be noted I used to get 20-45Mbps down.

Dont get me wrong I dont mind slow speeds here and there but unusable speeds are unacceptable. I also have a problem that Verizon isnt trying harder to replicate the issue and resolve it. They would rather lose me as a customer than deal with the issue. Based on this post and others I have seen on the VZ page I am not the only one with the issue nor just my state, It's nationwide. I dont believe I should be paying a full bill when my phone doesnt work the entire time im at work (no wifi). They offered me 15% off for a year.

I want VZ to recognize this is a problem and work on a resolution not just brush it off like nothing is happening.

Funny VZ offered me a job out of college making some good money in a Technology Leadership Development Program (oh the irony), glad I turned it down because they obviously dont know whats going on or care to resolve it.

0 Likes
guitaaron
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone, I thought I'd post a quick update following up on my original post.  I went through the entire Verizon process, from every possible iteration of resetting and rebooting to finally replacing the phone, and that did not fix it.  To recap, here were the symptoms:

-- Sporatic dropped calls.  Also, every so often I'd get a message that "all circuits are busy" which never happened before.

-- Weak indicated signal strength overall, and random LTE dropouts, and increased battery usage because the phone detects a weak signal.

-- Bad data connectivity, as in LTE indicated on the phone but apps saying they can't connect to the network.

The default fix in the Verizon stores is to reset network settings (which fixes it long enough to get you out of the store), or sell a network extender, or both.

Long story short, here's what finally fixed it (I think).  On your Verizon account home page, go to "Devices" then "Plans and Services" and disable "Advanced Calling Features."  This removes the VoLTE service from your account.  After I got the alert window on my phone that Verizon removed the service my signal strength (in field test mode) jumped 10db.

I want to point out that this is NOT the same thing as going to your settings and setting LTE to "Data Only".  You've got to go through the web page and remove the service itself.

I suspect that VoLTE being a new service means there are some bugs that aren't quite hammered out yet.  Just wish they'd have told me that to start out with instead of wasting time figuring it out for myself...

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and post if I turn out to be wrong.  Or maybe one of you smart guys can chime in and tell me why I'm wrong.  Either way removing VoLTE seems to have made performance go back to what it was before they rolled the service out.  Which, in hindsight, kinda makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

0 Likes
dbvirago
Enthusiast - Level 3

I and many others in my area have been having the same problem and getting the same run around from Verizon 'customer service.' Told I am in a variable coverage area. Variable coverage area? metro Atlanta? And yes, told I need to by an extender for $250. Am I supposed to carry it around with me in my car. Service much worse every where. I will try your solution.

Also, note that a lot of the problems started about the time, they sold off their towers to a third party.

0 Likes
dbvirago
Enthusiast - Level 3

Advanced Calling is not enable on my devices. Still looking for solution, but thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dbvirago,

We always want you to get world class service wherever you are. That's very important. Are others having issues in the same locations you are? What is your zip code? Is it mainly an issue inside or outside as well?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dbvirago
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's worse inside, but only slightly better out. As I and many others have said, in the exact same location, I have gone from 4-5 bars to 1-2 bars. After I answer all the questions, i.e. zip code, (30338) in the end, just like the others, I am told I am in a variable coverage area and can buy an extender for $250, which will not help me anywhere except in my home. Driving around metro Atlanta, I have not gotten more then 3 bars in several months and rarely if ever get 4G. Something changed with your service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dbvirago,

That's certainly a big help. I do show some marginal coverage areas near you, but the entire area certainly isn't one. It's possible your home is in a marginal area, which is normally when we would recommend a network extender, but you should certainly get good coverage elsewhere. How far do you go before the service improves? Three bars is a good signal, do you get that throughout most of the area or is it 1 or 2 bars most of the time? What issues do you have when using the phone?

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dbvirago
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, 1-2 bars is the norm lately. It used to be 3-5 everywhere. Issues include dropped calls and getting voice mail when the phone never rang or shows a missed call. If it was only in the home I might consider an extender, but not at that price. It's the fact that service everywhere deteriorated that is the problem. And from what I read in this and other forums, it seems to be a widespread problem and not isolated to me and my area.

The problem is I work from home and dropped my landline because I didn't need it anymore. Now I do. My question remains, what changed? My house is in the same place it's always been. Why did my service drop by 2-4 bars a few months ago? No one at Verizon seems willing to address the underlying issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can definitely understand the concern, Dbvirago, especially since your phone is used as an important work tool.

There are a lot of factors that may affect your service experience in and around your home service area.

Local terrain/environmental factors, local governmental ordinaces/laws/, construction, building material, line of sight to your local towers; all of this will contribute in some way.

Just in case, has a ticket been submitted for your area to have it reviewed by service engineers?

NicandroN_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response.

This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes