Our data seems to be used up quicker this past pay period, did something change?
Friendly610
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our data seems to be used up quicker this past pay period, did something change? My wife has an APPLE 6 and she noticed it on her phone and asked me if anything changed.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Our data seems to be used up quicker this past pay period, did something change?
mama23dogs
Legend

That information is contained in your phone.   Carriers do not control how much data you use, or what do use it on. That is entirely between you, your application and your phone.

0 Likes
Re: Our data seems to be used up quicker this past pay period, did something change?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Nothing nafarious going on. You're what using a few MB a day more?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

less wi-fi.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Friendly610 wrote:

Our data seems to be used up quicker this past pay period, did something change? My wife has an APPLE 6 and she noticed it on her phone and asked me if anything changed.

BTW Apple did do an OS update.  

0 Likes
Molo122
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have had RIDICULOUS data overage charges the last few months despite the fact that I rarely use it anywhere that doesn't have wifi and at starting with my last billing cycle I did not even receive text updates informing me of my data overage fees 

I was told that it is a problem with an IOS feature that connects to your cell service if you have a weak signal via WiFi

ok. that's all fine and good and I can adjust my phone settings accordingly. HOWEVER I think Verizon is pulling some seriously shady stuff. For one, when I did receive a text message indicating I was over on my data, it was around 12:30AM and my billing cycle ended that day. 12:00 AM is the start of a new day and I double checked and it was the first day of my new billing cycle so how did I go over my data usage?? 

Secondly, why did verizon randomly stop sending me text alerts about my data overage charges this last billing cycle? I actually even had my internet upgraded to 5G service and thought that everything was under control only to receive a surprise bill with almost $400 in data overage charges

also, at every verizon store I go to, I am told something different by the employee who is working at the store or I am told to contact customer service via chat or phone

I already tried the chat thing and got several apologies and no real resolution 

I've been with verizon since I got my first cell phone in 2002. I stuck with them bc while they were pricier than other carriers, they seemed to have more cell towers in my area and I was getting service in places where my friends with other cell phone service providers were not. 

I'm really frustrated and after perusing the internet, I have seen countless other people who suddenly saw a spike in their data usage despite no change in usage habits. If this was an isolated case I would pay the insanely high bill and get on with it, but this is not right 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Molo122 wrote:

I also have had RIDICULOUS data overage charges the last few months despite the fact that I rarely use it anywhere that doesn't have wifi and at starting with my last billing cycle I did not even receive text updates informing me of my data overage fees 

I was told that it is a problem with an IOS feature that connects to your cell service if you have a weak signal via WiFi

ok. that's all fine and good and I can adjust my phone settings accordingly. HOWEVER I think Verizon is pulling some seriously shady stuff. For one, when I did receive a text message indicating I was over on my data, it was around 12:30AM and my billing cycle ended that day. 12:00 AM is the start of a new day and I double checked and it was the first day of my new billing cycle so how did I go over my data usage??  

You do realize that Apple provides you with a data counter on your device INDEPENDENT of the data counter that Verizon uses? If you are so sure Verizon is doing some "seriously shady stuff" with your data usage, I would certainly wonder why you don't make use of that tool. THEN you would at least have some other data usage data with which to compare/contradict what Verizon is telling you.

Simply saying that YOU didn't do anything differently doesn't mean a whole lot. You have apps on your phone. These apps ROUTINELY have updates which your phone downloads and installs. These updates CAN and DO change the settings which you MAY have set on these apps which would limit the amount of data these apps consume.

Simply because you are not actively using an app on your device, does not mean the app is not using data. I am sure that you are aware that MANY apps on your device give you notifications when something "new" is available for you to view within the app. How do you think that app receives that information in order to give you a notification? It gets the information by receiving data from the network. It is doubtful you ONLY receive notifications when you are connected to wifi. That means these apps are using data even though you are not activelly using the app when you are in an area which you are not connected to wifi.

Aside from just notifications, many of these apps not only consume data to receive the notification, but they ALSO consume data to actively download the information which would allow your device to display the information related to the notification in a more speedy fashion once you click on the notification. One of the most common complaints people have is the speed which a device is able to display information. If the information you want to view has already been downloaded, the device APPEARS to be working faster simply because the information doesn't have to be downloaded AFTER you click on the notification.

YOU may not be doing anything differently with your device, but that does not mean your device cannot be using more data. There are settings on your device which HELP prevent it from using BACKGROUND data. This would help keep your data usage down, but just be prepared for it to ALSO appear that your device starts working in a more sluggish manner than which you are used to.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

No one wants to take responsibility anymore or make the effort to see what the REAL issue is. Just easier to accuse the evil company of being evil and somehow that magically cures the problem. Also people complaining in mid 2019 about overages when safety mode has been free for 3 years now. I also know how this mysterious data useage thing is almost exclusively an iPhone issue

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Molo122 wrote:

Secondly, why did verizon randomly stop sending me text alerts about my data overage charges this last billing cycle? I actually even had my internet upgraded to 5G service and thought that everything was under control only to receive a surprise bill with almost $400 in data overage charges

also, at every verizon store I go to, I am told something different by the employee who is working at the store or I am told to contact customer service via chat or phone

I already tried the chat thing and got several apologies and no real resolution 

I've been with verizon since I got my first cell phone in 2002. I stuck with them bc while they were pricier than other carriers, they seemed to have more cell towers in my area and I was getting service in places where my friends with other cell phone service providers were not. 

I'm really frustrated and after perusing the internet, I have seen countless other people who suddenly saw a spike in their data usage despite no change in usage habits. If this was an isolated case I would pay the insanely high bill and get on with it, but this is not right 

So, you’re going over regularly and didn’t do some drastic work to curb usage?  You go blindly through the month without checking?  Most of the time the alerts come too late to stop you from going over.   No carrier controls your usage.  Not Verizon, At&t, T-mo, Sprint.   You mention WiFi assist, which is an APPLE feature on all iOS devices.  

Stop asking or expecting the carrier to control or explain YOUR usage.  You are TOTALLY in control of your phone, the apps and services you use.  

BTW unlike iPhone/iPad, android devices have a built in data warning and can be set to cut off data.  If you don’t trust the iPhone and can’t control your data, get an android. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

8E544677-8EF3-4E6E-A922-C86B175A4958.jpegEE5B2662-868F-4C8A-8D32-075C76D7D6EE.jpeg

0 Likes