Huge data spike this week.
n4ows
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our 10 gig family plan data usage spiked this week. Early Tuesday morning 4:40am, we got text messages saying we had reached 50%. Then about 36 hours later, another text saying we'd reached 90%. I have a Droid Razr M and my son has an iPhone 6. Checked usage and it was his phone that had eaten up all the data. He knows how to use his phone and only use data when he intends to, closing background apps and only downloading podcasts when he's on wi-fi. He checked his phone on Tuesday morning and wi-fi was turned on and not extraneous apps were running in the background. Because of the early morning warning, he was being extra careful not to over use data.

That said, I was talking to 2 friends today, both with iPhones and both had huge data spikes about the same time we did. Because of this happening to 2 other people I know at about the same time, I am very suspicious that there's something going on with data usage that's out of our control. Is there a bug in the iPhone 6 OS that's causing this? If so, will we get charged for extra data when we go over this month? We are only 10 days into our billing cycle.

Labels (1)
Re: Huge data spike this week.
Weth
Legend

Did he look in Settings/Cellular to see which app or system service used the data? 

One thing is certai, you will get charged if you go over data limit. 

Loquat
Master - Level 1

Data usage is often delayed as well.  But like it has been mentioned, check to see what app is consuming  the most data. Also keep in mind that the auto play videos Facebook eats up a lot of data and often times websites has video advertisement running that we don't always scroll the entire page and see. Not saying this is the issue with your situation but these are some things to consider.

0 Likes
nattysmom

I too have had ridiculous data spikes this week. A few days ago I was notified that data was 75%. At that point, I turned off cellular data for ALL apps.  In the space of 2 days, we went from 75% to overage while the phone was 1) at home with wifi and 2) cellular data turned off.

How do I fix this? There are still 14 days left in my billing cycle!!

0 Likes
n4ows
Enthusiast - Level 2

When we hit 50% he checked to make sure everything that uses data was turned off. Only used maps for work and was very careful about making sure he was using wi-fi for everthing else. Still within 36 hours he'd used 4 more gigs. He has never used data that fast even when watching video when he forgot to turn wi-fi back on. He doesn't browse facebook but does occasionally watch movies and sports videos. He felt like him watching a movie earlier in the billing cycle had bumped him up to 50% earlier in the billing cycle so had been careful not to do it after the 50%.

I'm going to go to the Verizon store today and find out what ate the data. To me, it's just weird that a lot of iPhone users have had huge data usage spikes this week. If it were more random then I'd think it was just him being forgetful.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Why doesn't anyone check and report the actual usage?

Did he look in Settings/Cellular to see which app or system service used the data?

TThis will tell you exactly which app(s) used the data. B

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I very much understand your concern! I'm a fellow iPhone 6 owner and want to ensure that your data is properly account for. Is your son running the latest software on his device? May I ask what data plan you are currently on? Usage can vary depending on what applications are being used as members of the forum have suggested. Does your son have an e-mail set up on his device? Please verify that an e-mail is not stuck attempting to send as this in rare cases can run up data services in a short amount of time.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Lets check this out, nattysmom! What data plan are you? Did you turn off Cellular Data through Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data ?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Andrios

Same issue here, over 18gb used(shared) and still have 12 days left. There is no way my usage has gone up that much.....

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Like Weth has mentioned, check to see what app is consuming most of your data and start there.

0 Likes