Re: GPS Location Inaccurate - iPhone 6
rmills06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is an example of what I'm seeing on my phone when using GPS without Wi-Fi connected.  I was on cellular with both bluetooth and Wi-Fi ON, but neither connected.

iPhone GPS - Cell Only LTE1.PNG

I measured the area of the large blue circle and it is almost 2 square miles, closer to 1.80 square miles.  This is just ridiculous when you are trying to navigate somewhere....

Now here is what it looks like on WiFi...albeit not a great WiFi connection.  At any rate this is only about 500 square feet of area.

iPhone GPS - WiFi.PNG

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mistry125, I rely on my GPS heavily. Let’s make sure yours is up to par. Are you using a case with the device? Have you tried using the GPS without the case? Have you tried using another GPS Maps such as Google Maps?
AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rmills06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, yes, yes...I've done everything.  But why would any of that matter?  It is obvious at this point something happened during the carrier update.

I actually have another phone coming to me.  So we shall see if it is in fact the phone itself...

0 Likes
Cmcvey23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine varies, but is anywhere from 1-30 miles across. Full reset, no change,

gps is worthless.

Note that my wife's iphone5 has not had the carrier update and running

22.1, hers works fine with just a few feet of range.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 10:25 AM, rmills06 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
rmills06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All,

It appears the fix for me was a new phone.  Verizon sent me a phone yesterday and upon restoring to that phone I noted the GPS was very accurate on cellular service only.

This morning I used Google Maps on my drive into work and it worked perfectly. 

I'm befuddled as to why the carrier update would translate to poor GPS accuracy and then a new phone was a fix.  Although, it was likely a refurbished phone...but all the same, it has been fixed.

Thank you to Verizon for the assistance.  If you are in the same boat I recommend you go the new phone route.  Keep in mind you will need to have appropriate insurance coverage if you current phone is out of warranty.  You can always call Verizon tech support and ask if your phone is in warranty and if you current insurance covers a new phone.  When I called I found my phone was out of warranty, but they recommended increasing my insurance coverage so I can get a replacement phone for free.

I had the new phone up and running in 30 minutes.  Keep in mind that time may vary depending on how many apps you have...

Ryan

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rmills06 Ryan, thank you for sharing the great news! We are glad that you can now use your GPS. I know that I would be lost without it. Please feel free to reach out to us should you need assistance.
DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
WICKYWAHWAH

I have the same exact issue and my location is inaccurate by 500-1000ft when I'm not on WIFI. I've gone through every single recommendations BOTH in this thread and in self troubleshooting and nothing has worked.  Support team, please advise on what you can do for me as the last resort. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can’t have your GPS acting up like this, especially since we need it every day WICKYWAHWAH. How long have you been having this trouble? Do you recall any changes to the phone when this started?

StevenM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
boylel

I'm having the same problem and am more than a little ticked that the correct answer seems to be to replace the phone.   Even with the replacement plan, I'll pay $200 deductible.

I'm even more ticked that I went to my local Verizon Store yesterday and none of the people there seemed to even understand how to test whether the phone was able to connect to GPS satellites, or the difference between GPS and Wi-Fi location services.

0 Likes
boylel

My iPhone 6 is unable to connect to any GPS Satellites.   Nobody in my nearby Verizon Store seems to even understand what that means.  Do you have any suggestions other than to replace the phone.

I've tried all of the resets and reboots I've found suggested on the Verizon support pages or publicly available from Apple.

Thanks

0 Likes