Data on deactivated iPhone 6 Plus with Erase pending
Twohassez

Left my iPhone 6 Plus in a taxi at the airport in Cancun, Mexico.  Find my iPhone was turned on but we did not activate the local TELCEL service while down there and just logged onto free WiFi at two hotels.  So I am sitting here waiting for the phone to be within range of one of two hotels before it will connect to the Internet, at which point I have set up remote commands to play a sound, to notify me, to display a lost phone message with instructions on how to contact me and where to leave the phone, as well as to erase the phone.  Problem was my phone showed up in one of those two hotel parking lots about 30 minutes before I had all the remote commands established.  Meanwhile, we were overdue to upgrade phones anyway so we went yesterday and got new ones, at which point the lost iPhone 6 Plus down in Mexico was removed from our Verizon account.  And at some point in the process, the lost iPhone 6 Plus went offline, probably because Location services were disabled when the hardware was disconnected from the Verizon network.

So now the lost iPhone 6 Plus is sitting in an offline status with a remote erase phone command pending until the phone connects to the Internet again.  But I don’t think that can happen unless someone can hack two layers of pass codes, the first being the activation pass code which is set up as 6 numeric digits and the second being a lost phone activation code which is another 6 numeric digits.  My problem is I think all my data is still on that phone until I can see the erase command processed inside the Find My iPhone app.

Do I have that about right?

Someone would need to hack both passcodes without too many attempts because after, what is it, six wrong tries or whatever the Apple iPhone 6 will automatically go into a lock state that is basically at the hardware level that can only be released by Apple if you want to mail it to them.  Meanwhile, I changed all the important account passwords that are used by apps on that phone so even if someone did hack two layers of passcodes I kicked the phone off my Apple account and some other accounts.  And I do not store passwords or login ID’s on my phone, or credit card numbers, so every financial account requires manual entry.  So I think the risk of someone accessing the data on that phone are pretty slim.

Would you agree?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data on deactivated iPhone 6 Plus with Erase pending
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If you reported it to Verizon as lost/stolen the ESN will be disabled.

However, my guess is, whoever found it will just attempt to wipe it of your data to replace it with theirs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Data on deactivated iPhone 6 Plus with Erase pending
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If you reported it to Verizon as lost/stolen the ESN will be disabled.

However, my guess is, whoever found it will just attempt to wipe it of your data to replace it with theirs.

0 Likes