Can I activate SIM-free iPhone 6S from the Apple Store on Verizon?
oldblue9100
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apple is claiming that the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus that you purchase SIM-free from Apple stores will work on CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint. I just wanted to find out if this is actually true. Has anyone bought a SIM-free iPhone 6S/Plus, then taken it to Verizon and got it activated without issue? This would need to be an actual SIM-free iPhone sold by Apple, not one purchased from a carrier and subsequently unlocked.

Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIM-free iPhone 6S Bought From Apple
oldblue9100
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually took a gamble on this and it paid off. I went into an Apple Store this morning and purchased a SIM-free 128 GB iPhone 6S Plus in Space Gray. I then took it to a Verizon store and they activated it with no problem at all. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

FMorgan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just bought one looking to do the same...heading to Verizon store tomorrow

oldblue9100
Enthusiast - Level 2

Awesome! Please let me know how it works out for you.

0 Likes
oldblue9100
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually took a gamble on this and it paid off. I went into an Apple Store this morning and purchased a SIM-free 128 GB iPhone 6S Plus in Space Gray. I then took it to a Verizon store and they activated it with no problem at all. Smiley Happy

MamaLana
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just took delivery of an iPhone 6s plus. It is from Verizon.  I'm new to iPhone - switching from Samsung Galaxy S5 after horrendous problems with Lollipop update.  Could you explain to me about the reason for wanting Sim free phone? Any other pointers for a newbie are appreciated. Also, I need a new case. I love my Galaxy S5 because I had a Tech Armor ballistic glass screen and just a speck case and my phone survived (physically) through a 2 year old. Looking for something trim but prefer durability if I have to make a choice.

0 Likes
BrownSugar67
Contributor - Level 3

If you get a SIM free iPhone your not tied to one carrier it's unlocked. If you get tried of your carrier you can take phone AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile and use it

MamaLana
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm assuming we cannot buy Sim free from the carrier. Can't imagine if you bought Sim free that any carrier wouldn't connect, unless the carrier needs to protect themselves from black market phones or stolen phones?

0 Likes
BrownSugar67
Contributor - Level 3

You can get a unlock phone Best Buy, Apple, or Amazon. I was told Verizon 4G LTE phones are not lock but don't know if they will work on any other carrier.

0 Likes
wynnnj1977
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am glad it worked out for you, enjoy the phone.

0 Likes
JlSchla

DDid Verizon charge you to activate it?

0 Likes