why is the signal on iPhone 5s so poor compared to iPhone 4s????
familyof4inva

My husband just upgraded to the iPhone 5s at Christmas and we continually notice poor signal strength on his phone versus my 4s. We are in Northern Virginia outside of DC so signal has not ever been an issue for us before. How can this be fixed? Should we just return it for another 4s?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: why is the signal on iPhone 5s so poor compared to iPhone 4s????
jkmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd advise to keep the 5S as it's a better phone than the 4S. The key difference is the 5S allows for access to the LTE network. What may be occurring, is that LTE in your area is not as widely available as 3G in your area. The 4S is 3G capable only. The 5S will try to establish a connection with LTE even if it is a weaker signal.

While you may have poorer signal strength, do you notice any issues in usability? I've been in areas with 1 bar of signal on my 5S but I was still able to use it without any issues.

0 Likes
familyof4inva

The 5s is much slower in things like internet searches. We both looked up the same thing sitting next to each other and the 5s was so slow that we gave up and used my 4s instead. Not ideal and very frustrating!

0 Likes
jkmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just for testing purposes, if you go to Settings, then General, then Cellular and turn off "Enable LTE", then try running a similar search is it any better?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

familyof4inva,

I understand that having such a wonderful device, such as the iPhone 5S, that is not living up to it potential can be very frustrating. Have you tried to reset your network settings? http://vz.to/1fXLjE2 Let us know if this helps.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get you to enjoy all the phone's awesome features familyof4inva! Were you able to reset the phone's network? What do you see in the signal area? Is the problems only indoors?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
familyof4inva

The reset seems to have helped the speed. His 5s was able to beat my 4s in

an internet search race. Thanks for the response!

On Feb 23, 2014 2:42 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
familyof4inva

So the reset seemed to help the signal, but everyday since then, when my husband talks on the phone, it light vibrates sporadically throughout calls. When he is on the phone with me, I can hear/almost feel the vibrate on my phone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jennifer Stefero

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

familyof4inva,

Let's make sure we get your husbands phone working as it should! When the phone vibrates, while on calls, are there any text messages or notifications coming through?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
familyof4inva

No, nothing is coming through.

Jennifer Stefero

0 Likes