verizon not allowed to have nano sim cards in their stores???
newportsgrowing

I needed to change my phone number so I submitted the request online and it said to power down the phone and power back up and the change would be complete.... not quite. Called customer service and they had me remove the sim card and re-insert it and said it would take 15 minutes for it to go through a cycle and they would call me back (on a different phone) to see if everything was working ok. Well 1 hour later I still hadn't heard back so I called customer service again and got a different rep who told me to dial *228 and I got an error that the "number was not allowed".... eventually I got patched through to a tech rep and I explained that I had removed the sim card, tried *228, etc and she said that *228 only works on 3G devices not 4G and that the sim card is "not wanting to let go of the old number" and was told I needed a new sim card. She told me she would ship me one but I could go to any Verizon store to get one if I needed one sooner. She searched for Verizon stores near my house and the next morning I drove a fair distance to a store in Cincinnati, OH (55 E Kemper Rd) and told the rep I needed a new sim card and right away he said we don't have those here, Apple makes and controls all of those sim cards and Verizon isn't allowed to stock them because Apple won't let them so I would have to get it through Apple and that I am lucky there is an Apple store in the area. He went on to say that once you enter the "Apple realm" you can't turn back and  I will see how they control everything blah blah. We explained that we were specifically told by a Verizon tech to go to any Verizon store and he said that's not something a tech would know and that the stores stock other sim cards like micro, etc but not nano. So I hiked to the other side of town and went to an insanely busy Apple store and waited in line and the first thing the guy says when it's my turn is I don't even think we have those cards, that's a Verizon product... let me go check. Thankfully, he was able to find one and the card definitely had a Verizon logo on it, not an Apple one (which I found odd since Verizon said Apple makes it) and he installed it, called Verizon and got everything working. I don't understand how something could have only Verizon's logo on it and some other company not ALLOW them to have access to that product.... doesn't make sense. I really question if the store rep was telling me the truth or simply didn't want to be bothered with me because he wouldn't get a commission or something. After 3 hours on the phone with Verizon and trucking all over town over this ordeal, I'm not sure who I'm most pissed at, the Verizon's customer service reps, tech rep, or store rep..... thank goodness for the Apple rep who shouldn't have had to be the middle man but was gracious enough to help me out. Anyone know if what the rep said was true? Verizon isn't allowed to stock nano sim cards?? How can customer service offer to ship me one if Apple doesn't let them get their hands on them??? So confused!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: verizon not allowed to have nano sim cards in their stores???
rcschnoor
Legend

While I am unsure if Verizon stores stock nano-SIM cards, having the Verizon logo on it isn't necessarily because it is a Verizon product. The logo could only be for ID purposes as you would not want a nano-SIM for the AT&T network put in your Verizon iPhone 5.

0 Likes
Re: verizon not allowed to have nano sim cards in their stores???
dr154

Let me clear the air a bit. Depending on which type of store you went into the sales rep may have been correct. You have Corporate stores owned by Verizon Wireless, then you have a lot of subcontractors that do must of Verizon Wireless business such as: (1)National Retailers, (2)Premium Retailers, (3/4)Authorized Retailers/Agents with Verizon Wireless logos and the company they are employed by underneath. National & Premium Retail stores look more like Corporate locations but they are privately owned and can operate just as a Corporate store could with the same product and/or more. These stores are solely authorized by Apple to sell their products such as iPad's, iPhone's, & nano sim cards just as you found see in a Corporate Verizon Wireless store. As rcschnoor stated the logo on the sim cards are to distinguish them from the other carriers Apple deals business with. Hope this helps a bit.

0 Likes