screen separation on almost new phone
myphone5s
Enthusiast - Level 2

Iphone 5s is only two weeks old; Dualtekk case put on by salesman; the screen has started separating --I noticed because of the light showing up;  The phone has not been dropped or carelessly handled;

The agent at the Verizon Center where it was purchased, when she saw the phone said it is something common to that phone and that I should take it to a computer/phone repair person (non Verizon or Apple Licensed) in our local town and have him fix it.  When I told her it was only two weeks old, she started acting defensive (she hadn't checked any information and did not know it was new), said that they could send it in for warranty repair but it would be considered damaged and not covered by the warranty and would cost about $200.  She said insurance coverage deductible would cost me $160 to replace the phone.  She went from oh this is not too big of a deal to super defensive after which I felt rather dissatisfied and also defensive that the new phone that cost $599 plus for the extra case and earphones was costing even more almost immediately.  There are no scratches or signs of any type of damage to the case.

Do I have no alternative other than to pay to get a replacement?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: screen separation on almost new phone
Weth
Legend

Take the case off and take it directly to an Apple Storem if you have one at reasonable distance.  They may still consider it damaged, but if there is a manufacturing problem, get the replacement from Apple.  They keep the best replacement devices. 

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

Take the case off and take it directly to an Apple Storem if you have one at reasonable distance.  They may still consider it damaged, but if there is a manufacturing problem, get the replacement from Apple.  They keep the best replacement devices. 

myphone5s
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  There is one less than an hour away.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Definitely not a common thing. Visit Apple as suggested...and in the future, try to deal with Apple when problems arise. If you had listened to the store rep initially your warranty would have been voided by an unauthorized repair being done.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Let us know how it works out.  Apple customer service is far above any utility company.  Good luck.  Take your receipts from Verizon to show purchase date.  It doesn't matter that you did not buy directly from Apple. 

0 Likes
myphone5s
Enthusiast - Level 2

Catch up message. I was wrong that there is an official Apple Store nearby. We have been still been attempting a resolution with Verizon and the actual phone holder has been told the phone will be replaced free of charge.

There is a Simply Mac Tech within an hour drive who is willing to "look" at the phone but the available hours don't work with ours. If the phone is not replaced someone will likely take time off during the day to at least let the Tech look at the phone. He was going to check for issues that have arisen with the battery swelling and pulling the screen away.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Another option to strongly consider is to call Apple Support and work through them. I suspect you will find their answer and resolution will be better.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

It's in your best interest to call apple support (or schedule a call via their website) so you can work with them. If they need to replace it they will send one out to you and you return yours (that's usually how they do it but they will let you know your options). Just something to consider.

0 Likes
myphone5s
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did go to the Simply Mac store that was about 45 minutes away (Verizon never made the call to replace the phoneno surprise). They at first didn't think it would be warranty repair but decided to look under the screen and said Apple would take care of ita battery issue. I don't think I'll get a new phone but will be able to pick up the repaired phone tomorrow at no cost and the Verizon and Apple warranties are still good after the repair.

They definitely didn't agree with it being a "common" problem or that I was told to take it elsewhere to be repaired.

They were extremely professional, supportive and patient. Thanks for the advice--I had the receipt with me which was necessary for the Apple warranty, of course.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Appears this is an authorized repair facility for Apple which is good. Glad you're getting it taken care of

0 Likes