rapid battery use?
MJBMD

Why is new iphone5 using up the battery in 3 hours with almost no use?  I just switched to Verizon and have brand new phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: rapid battery use?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MJBMD,

Oh no! Having an awesome phone with a short battery life is no fun at all. The iPhone 5 is a great multi-tasking device. At times different appliations and settins can negatively impact the battery. Please review these great battery saver tips to help you get the best from your iPhone 5. 

• Adjust brightness: Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. You can also turn on Auto-Brightness, here.
  • Fetch new data less frequently: To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually.

• Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services or use location services only when needed.

Try these options and please keep us posted. We're here to help with further concerns. 

Thanks,

TanishaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
b1uebird
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apparently you aren't the only one. See the Apple support forum discussion about this topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4328959

It is happening to the iphone 4 and iphone 4S users who updated to iOS 6 too.  I was one of the iphone 4 users who had rapid battery drain after installing iOS 6.  The iphone 4S discussion regarding iOS 6 and battery problems is over 75 pages now.  People are trying everything but twirling 3 times and clapping (but they are so frustrated that soon they will be doing that too).

I hate that I have to turn off the features on my so-called "smartphone" in order to get through the day on a charge.  I might as well have a cheap dumb phone if I have to do that.

You might want to check your data usage too.  Sometimes people have experienced rapid battery drain because they suspect that the phone was sending or receiving data via some background process that they didn't even know was running and their data usage was going through the roof.

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

If none of the fixes that you find work to improve battery life, call applecare and you might have to take it to the apple store. My friend has an iphone 5 and she gets great battery life....she had to have her phone switched out once by apple for wifi issues. I believe applecare can test the battery by sending in something to the phone.

I would charge to 100% so battery usage resets by itself....that way you can tell them it was 100% charged. Then use for 3 hours of slightly less, and call them when battery is like 20% so your phone says how long standby and how long usage.

0 Likes
darkfox80

Im having the same issue with my phone. It started after i did a data reset on my phone due to the phone having multiple glitches in the IOS 6.0 software. After the reset the battery life went from 9-10 hours a day down to 4 hours or less. The phone literally starts at 100% and within 5-10 min looses a percent or more, even when its not being used. Im literally doing everything to slow the drain by lesser email checks, notifications, location services etc.  I also noticed the phone seems at times to be very hot , like its burning up. I have a feeling this is another IOS 6.0 bug. Wheres Apple in all this mess?

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

I guess the same place they were with ios 5!!!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@darkfox80,

I can definitely understand your frustration with the battery life of your device. Getting the most battery life of a device is always a plus.

I've researched this and did not find it to be a known reported issue with this device after the SW update.

Did you perform a hard reset after the update? This may help with the battery life. Also, one thing you can do is completely drain the battery and then charge the phone completely. Visit http://bit.ly/WIqRix for other battery saving tips on the iPhone 5.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes