okay i need someone to makes this clear to me please!
roxy21693
Enthusiast - Level 2

okay, i ordered my iphone 5 this weekend and i have a couple questions for those who already own one, or simply anyone who knows

-if i turn off my data of my iphone 5, and use WIFI instead, will that still count towards my data usage? i only have 300 MB!

- can i block my data and just use WIFI?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: okay i need someone to makes this clear to me please!
akdisney
Enthusiast - Level 3

When you turn off celluar Date you are use only WIFI

If you have a slow Wifi  or Low power Siri will not work

and Safani will not work

and I found that you DO Not use up your date time.

I'm still low number but I have down load a lot apps and songs.

Settings- General - cellular - slide Cellular Date to off

hope this help

View solution in original post

0 Likes
akdisney
Enthusiast - Level 3

When you turn off celluar Date you are use only WIFI

If you have a slow Wifi  or Low power Siri will not work

and Safani will not work

and I found that you DO Not use up your date time.

I'm still low number but I have down load a lot apps and songs.

Settings- General - cellular - slide Cellular Date to off

hope this help

0 Likes
holes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes . Once you turn on wifi it wont use your data. You could even download an app called viber which will allow you to send and receive texts over wifi and the messages wont be charged to your messaging plan. You can also make and receive phone calls on viber when ur on wifi and it doesn`t go towards your minutes. In order to benefit from viber both phones must have this application installed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Roxy21693!

Congratulations on your new iPhone 5! You're going to love it!

When you use your phone over a Wi-Fi connection your data usage won't go against your current 300 mb plan!

I use Wi-Fi at home and work all of the time! It's a great way to save monthly.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
snc

Me and my son just upgraded to iPhone 5 and we are having problems with the data usage. Even when we are on a wifi area and our phone says its connected to the wifi it is still charging us data. I called Verizon about this problem several times because I keep receiving emails and text saying that my son's data is over the data limit. Keep in mind I just upgraded a week ago and I had an unlimited data plan that was remove once I upgraded. Now in one week I received 5 texts and 5 emails the last 2 saying he was over his usage. He has not use a whole GB yet and our monthly bill ended yesterday. I was thinking about canceling the upgrades because I am frustrated. Hopefully Verizon can fix this problem.

0 Likes
lapis1

i read on CNET that Verizon discovered a glitch and found out customers were being charged data while on WiFi. Since then they said they had fixed this issue and will NOT be charging customer for any data used while on WiFi. Check our CNET and look for the article. Good luck

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, Verizon has issued a carrier update for the iPhone 5; several threads about it on this forum if you want to do a search; here's one of 'em:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/881275#881275

0 Likes
snc

The issue still the same on my iPhone. I decided to return the device and cancelled my upgrades and go back to my unlimited plans since I'm still within my 14 days. I had to turn off the cellular data on the phone when I'm at the house and other places where I use wifi. After a while it gets annoying. The issue has not been resolve yet.

0 Likes