iPhone 5c eating my data plan alive. "Voicemail" App is top offender. VZW staff clueless.
javaman78
Enthusiast - Level 2

iPhone 5c eating my data plan alive. Before iphone 5c, 3 droids shared 2GB and NEVER used over .75GB for past 12 months. Now within 2 weeks of new 5c, it alone has used 1.2GB data. Top app offender is "voicemail" at just over 1GB! Verizon store staff clueless. This is crazy. There is clearly something wrong. Oh and this phone received ONE voicemail since it was purchased. how can one voicemail suck up 1GB of data.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5c eating my data plan alive. "Voicemail" App is top offender. VZW staff clueless.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out, javaman78.  The voicemail itself shouldn't be using that much data. Do you still have that voicemail saved on your phone? Try deleting the voicemail, and then hold down both the power and home keys until your phone resets. Does the"Voicemail" data usage appear under Settings>Cellular?

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5c eating my data plan alive. "Voicemail" App is top offender. VZW staff clueless.
javaman78
Enthusiast - Level 2

The voice mail has been deleted. Verizon support said to make sure we close the visual voice mail app since it keeps sucking data even when not being used. I called later because I didn't like that answer and was told it is simply an Apple issue and there is nothing Verizon can. I'm past my 14 days...again there was nothing the VZW rep could do for me. So now my son has dumb smartphone. I was better off with a Droid and VZW isn't helping me out only saying sorry sucker...how bout buying some more data? I'm thinking if Apple can't help maybe Sprint can...

For real...look at my data usage. Why are increments of nearly 300MB of data being uploaded every 6 hours? Why on earth is the Voice mail app using 1.2GB of that? Apple problem or not, VZW should stand by their customers and work with Apple to resolve. I spent an hour at the VZW store and multiple hours (nearly 45min on hold) with VZW support and no solution.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

javaman78,

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your voicemail feature using all your data. It is odd for the voicemail feature to use that much data. Have you already resetting your network connections and check the usage of the vociemail feature after that? http://vz.to/1pcTH4V You can do a full restore of your device to make sure the voicemail feature is completely reset? http://bit.ly/1osuymG Let us know if this helps.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
javaman78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reset the phone and within an hour "Voicemail" has already used 11.3kb. That's not much yet, but what drives me nuts is that I have all the apps turned off under System Settings/Cellular and the only thing eating data is Voicemail and Cellular Services. How is it that no one at VZW has never heard of this? Is it something with the phone? Do I need a new phone? Not a happy customer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

iPhones are notorious for using mobile data instead of letting you default to wi-fi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your troubleshooting efforts javaman78! Please ensure that you have iOS 8.0.2(12A405), or update to it if necessary. Try doing a restore via iTunes and setup as new phone. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes