Re: iPhone 5 without losing unlimited data and without paying Retail?
NeedMyUNLDATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Duplicate content deleted.  The original post can be viewed in .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Keirtt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Something else to think about....

If you refuse to pay full retail, and want to keep your unlimited plan, you can always do what I did and use a family members upgrade. My mother uses a feature phone and refuses to upgrade to a smartphone. She's been eligible for an upgrade for a while.

Preordered the Iphone 5 under her account. When I receive it, I'll activate it, deactivate it and put back her feature phone. Then go to the Verizon store and have them give me a new sim card. Activate it on my line and sell my 4S. Doing it this way will allow you to keep your unlimited data plan and get it at a discount price. Verizon is aware of this "loophole" and they are ok with it. Been confirmed any several other threads.

Casey6022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Guys for the users that live In cities that don't have 4g yet or maybe never, it's all around use, but not in corpus Christi Tx. I don't want to loose my unlimited plan because I don't have 4g here, it's only 2g on an iPhone 5, so it would only take about 9 hours to get 1 gig, I can break it down into pieces if you want, but my point is, why should a 20 year customer have to give up his unlimited plan because of a phone. I would not mind if I got he speed that 4 g has to offer, but with what verizon gives us here in corpus, the numbers just don't add up, I already pay 195.00 a month for a droid bionic and a flip phone...unlimited everything, except landlines, got 1400 minutes on that, but I will use my Skype if I know I going to be on with a landline for some time. Does this make sense verizon, it's not all of us that can easily make a decision on giving up a data plan that works for my family. I am paying for data plans on 3 iPads too have to be very carefull on how much data I use away from my wifi because of the lack of speed, our situation in corpus should have made some kind of different data tiers for us that don't have 4g yet, from what I have heard we may not for a very long time. Yes I have look at Verizon's plans on up coming 4g cities...we are not listed. Yes I got the link from verizon too. I guess this was a waste of time writing this, but I had to throw in my 2 cents..it will not change anything, but I hope it explains to some of he top honchos the problem the iPhone causes for users that don't have 4g. Personally I think buying an unlocked iPhone 5 in a few days would save me more money in the 2 years I would have it, ....at t-mo!

0 Likes
NeedMyUNLDATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

We need everyone's help to get Verizon to grandfather unlimited data plans again.  Please let everyone know, even people with other carriers.  If Verizon doesn't reverse this atrocity, it will spread to the other carriers.  Just like the $30 upgrade fee and the elimination of the $100 upgrade credit towards a new phone.

Please Sign and Share the Petition!! 

http://www.change.org/petitions#search/verizon unlimited data plans

Message was edited by: << Verizon Moderator >>

0 Likes
MatRoda
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi I was reading the thread and found yours to be really interesting. Did your method really work? Also, doesn't the SIM mean new phone number, etc.?

0 Likes
Jamesb93612

I was told that if I upgrade at BestBuy I can retain the unlimited plan. Not sure if this is true or not. Worth a try I guess! Good luck.

0 Likes
tgcitw
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think this issue is sad, grandfathered should be grandfathered and thats it. See the bottom line is those who have the grandfathered unlimited data plan have been customers for a while. I myself have been with Verizon for twelve years, and I don't plan on leaving. But I am shocked that Verizon is going back on its word. Yes do not fool yourselves that's whats going on here. I do understand this is a company but it is a smack in the face to your long time costumers. I will be buying my phones from now on through Apple, using their trade in option (close to $289.00 for my Iphone 4s). So my new Iphone 5 should cost around $399.99 (if you include taxes). Rough but not world ending, here is my promise to Verizon and I feel that everyone should jump on my band wagon. I am UNLIMITED, but now I no longer can upgrade..........If I pay so shall you. Every night I will be turning off my wifi and streaming my Satellite radio. I plan on becoming one of those 5% people you guys talk about. I will download everything I can using as much data as I can for as long as I can. My wife and I are not switching are unlimited plans but we are now gonna use the crap out of it!

cgelfand
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish I had thought of that myself. Go tgcitw! My bill for four smart phones is ridiculus Smiley Sad

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Best response I have seen in regards to this as far as not whining and swearing that because of this you are leaving (when if you do this you gain nothing since the only unlimited data plan left with any carrier now is Sprint...and if Sprint were the better option for most of us we probably would have switched to them when they first started offering unlimited everything). I too decided that I valued my unlimited plan more than getting the subsidy and knew that I could offset the full retail cost by selling my 4s. You're paying for unlimited and you paid a premium to keep it so by all means, use it! Might not thrill VZW too much but chances are you (and many like you) wouldn't have gone out of your way to up your actual data usage if you didn't get backed in to a corner in order to try and keep what you thought was grandfathered in for longer than one upgrade. Although they never promised us "forever", they also never said "grandfathered in until your next device upgrade". I, too opted to get my device from Apple (although I sold my 4s independently versus trading it in because I got more)...my reasons weren't exactly the same (I did it because I knew from previous experience that pre-orders can get messy with VZW and the communication was terrible).

aweb15
Enthusiast - Level 1

Haha I paid the upgrade price and was given the option to renew my unlimited data plan with my new contract. Just gotta be good with getting around the edges my man.

0 Likes