iPhone 5 unlimited data
blacklions001

Trying to figure out how to keep my unlimited data plan.... I would like to see an answer from Verizon on here since phone lines are busy - starting to become AT&T/Tmobile like customer service slowly (guess the vacation block didn't help much and more reps are needed...)

1. Buy at retail price $849 (iPhone 5 64gb)

2. Upgrade my other line and then put the iPhone on my line when it comes in - guess I will lose my $50 credit if I don't upgrade on the main line. All my lines are eligible for upgrades and are out of contracts already.

3. ???

Is that the only two options?  I use about 8-12gbs of data on average. I have gone a few months between 15-25gb, so the current 2/5/10gb plans wouldn't work for me.

I'm really surprised how greedy Verizon has become, I've switched from AT&T a few years ago and don't really have (too) many complaints about the service except taking away the unlimited data - with the smartphones and iPads using more and more data, someone will have to do something about bigger plans or unlimited. Is Sprint the only one right now??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 unlimited data
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's correct. Those are your two options.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
goldenhawk

Blacklion.  I am with Verizon and happy with their coverage. Here is the math for me (Excel spreadsheet from current bill). 2 iPhones and one regular line for a child. Insurance on both iPhones. Currently, Nationwide Share 700 ($66.50), 3 Line Access fees ($30), Unlimited email and Web on 2 iPhones ($60) and miscellaneous surchares and taxes. Total current monthly bill. $187.85. If I switch to Share Everything Plus … Monthly line access ($110), 6 gb shared data ($80), same misc surcharges and taxes. Total monthy bill $219. The difference would be a savings of $31.15 per month. Multiply by 24 months of contract, subtract the $450 difference in cell phone price for a 64 Gb iPhone 5 , and I end up with a savings of $297 over two years and keep unlimited data on my iPhone 5. Of course, I’m not too worried about sharing data since my wife doesn’t really use much. The only way I come out losing is if I only get 2 Gb worth of shared data. Really????!!!!! I will probably go through that in a couple of days when I first get it. There is a reason Verizon wants to move people off of unlimited data. So I paid full retail for the 64Gb last night.  Ouch.  But in the end I'll save.

0 Likes
Not applicable

blacklions001 wrote:

I'm really surprised how greedy Verizon has become

Greedy? Listen you do realize that if everyone with a smartphone used 25 GB like you the network would shut down. I'm not sure why people like you didn't get this. As if bandwidth is some magical unlimited thing. The ironic thing is if they gave everyone unlimited and the network slowed down you'd complain about that. Seriously, my home cable internet connection doesn't offer unlimited and I pay $50 a month for that but you expect to get unlimited data form a cell phone company for $30 a month? What color is the sky in the world where that is even remotely logical?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yes, if you want to keep unlimited data (like many of did) then you will either have to pay full retail (or you can search for someone selling an iPhone 5 on Ebay or some other method but chances are you will be paying close to if not more than full retail)....or you can upgrade a different line and transfer the phone to your unlimited data line. You clearly stated that you are a healthy data user so obviously it would be in your best interest to pay the full retail or upgrade another line. Sit down and do the math...consider the amount it would cost you per month for a tiered plan that meets your usual monthly needs and multiply that by 24 months. Do the same with your current unlimited data plan. Then subtract the difference. If it is significantly more expensive then it would be cheaper for you to pay more for the phone up front to keep your long term costs cheaper. If the difference isn't much then switching from unlimited may not be so bad. I, like many opted to pay full retail but I was able to offset my costs by selling my iPhone 4s for a decent price so it offset my iPhone 5 to almost the same amount I would have paid for it subsidized (I got the 64 GB).

Since this has been discussed in dozens of threads at length, some of which have been replied to by VZW Employees, your answer has already been provided by VZW and customers that already went through the process. If you would still prefer a VZW direct answer you may get a quicker response by going in to your local VZW store if waiting on the phone is too long.

0 Likes
Mohabo

I hope everyone does like me and switches to another company. I have been a loyal customer for Verizon for over 10 years but I won't stand for losing my unlimited data. When I went to Verizon I seen that it was a little higher in plans but they gave me great service. But slowly they have took away everything I loved about them. So now when my contract runs out I will venture to new companies who still offer unlimited plans. I used to got big credits for upgrading. I had incentive to sign up for two more years of service. But Verizon is getting greedy. It has taken those rebates and credits away thinking I can't live without them and I'll just pay anyway. Verizon you are sadly mistaken. The only way you will stop Verizon wireless from doing this is to move to another carrier. And hopefully Verizon will get the hint. When I leave Verizon they will loose 180+ dollars a month I know I'm one family plan but if we all leave Verizon would change their tune. I don't suggest at&t. Go to sprint T-Mobile or another carrier that has unlimited data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Mohabo wrote:

I hope everyone does like me and switches to another company. I have been a loyal customer for Verizon for over 10 years but I won't stand for losing my unlimited data. When I went to Verizon I seen that it was a little higher in plans but they gave me great service. But slowly they have took away everything I loved about them. So now when my contract runs out I will venture to new companies who still offer unlimited plans. I used to got big credits for upgrading. I had incentive to sign up for two more years of service. But Verizon is getting greedy. It has taken those rebates and credits away thinking I can't live without them and I'll just pay anyway. Verizon you are sadly mistaken. The only way you will stop Verizon wireless from doing this is to move to another carrier. And hopefully Verizon will get the hint. When I leave Verizon they will loose 180+ dollars a month I know I'm one family plan but if we all leave Verizon would change their tune. I don't suggest at&t. Go to sprint T-Mobile or another carrier that has unlimited data.

If you are no longer a Verizon customer why are you here? Sorry you can no longer slow down the network for everyone else with your unlimited data. How unfair!

By the way t-mobile and Sprint have "unlimited" data not unlimited data. There is a difference. By the way t-mobile doesn't have 4G, Sprint's 4G is limited so enjoy your "unlimited" 3G or worse speeds. Don't forge the $10 4G fee Sprint charges you if you can even get 4G. Oh you better hurry and go to t-mobile starting net month they will not longer subsidize phone you'll have to pay full price for them. If you go with Sprint when you upgrade in 2 years enjoy the $36 upgrade fee.

There is no "hint" for Verizon to get. So you leave. You are freeing up bandwidth for the rest of us. Thanks we appreciate that. Now if you can explain how Verizon is suppose to allow unlimited data over 4G when they currently only have 10 MHz for download and 10 MHz for upload for 4G data then maybe I'll be more sympathetic to you problem. Until then I won't be. I await your answer.

T-mobile an Sprint don't think my area is worthy of their service. So as far as I'm concerned they can both shove it. At least Verizon bothers to service my area. And they brought 3G here oh about 4 years before at&t did.

0 Likes
Mohabo

You sound like a very smart man Brian.>Brian is not a Verizon Wireless employee and we are not paying him anything to speak HIS opinion<

I think its extremely funny that you are

saying for us not to use our phones so you can get faster service on yours.

It has me scratching my head as to why you wouldn't want unlimited. Why

would you want to pay 15 dollars for every gig you use. Which would put you

into paying way more than the unlimited plan for your service each month if

you only use 6gb. >Comment removed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
macher50267

You might be able to pick up a grandfathered AT&T unlimited line. I'm thinking about it myself. There's someone at work that's moving back overseas and is willing to give me his grandfathered AT&T plan for free, 4 lines.

The advantage I see with AT&T is being able to upgrade at subsidized pricing and keep your unlimited data. Since I have 3 other lines to address that need new devices the cost of getting 3 brand spanking new iPhone 5's would cost $600'ish. With VZW the cost would be $2000'ish. Now I could sell the 3 VZW devices to offset the $2000'ish cost which would bring down the cost to about $1400'ish(selling the 3 devices for $200/each, total $600). Or I could use the $600 to offset the cost of getting 3 brand new iPhones with the AT&T plan I'm thinking about getting and the cost would be $0.

AT&T has pretty good coverage in my area which is Philly so I'm not concerned about quality and reliability.

Yes AT&T throttles LTE devices when you reach 5GB but it's not bad at all.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know from the ATT forums that if you do a "Transfer of Billing Responsibility" with an ATT account, the new account owner is required to choose from currently available plans and features. The unlimited data plan is NOT transferable. You will be stuck with the tiered data plans.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes