iPhone 5 top button not working
russell_314

I'm trying to figure out what I should do.  I have an iPhone 5 with the top button going out.  If you press it really hard it will sometimes work but I think it's going to stop working completely.

What Iv'e done so far

I went to the Verizon store and they told me I could go on eBay and get a new one.  It's a year old and I should buy a new phone at my expense.. Really?  I called customer support and they told me I was SOL because I was 13 days out of warranty.  They wouldn't even consider making an exception since my warranty just expired,

I thought about jailbreaking it to make another button as the top button but I updated to ios 7 so this is not possible.  Right now I'm using the "Assistive touch" function as a workaround to lock the screen but I have to deal with this icon that's always in the way.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 top button not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

russell_314 Hello there! I understand that it is extremely annoying when the power button stops working and  it makes use of the phone very difficult. I reviewed your post and would like to speak with you directly. Please follow me at and send a private message with your mobile number and the best time to call. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 top button not working
svollmi1

The exact thing is happening to me. I am 12 days outside of the apple 1 year warranty. I paid over $300 for this phone which was at a discount and in the past week the top locking button has become terrible and I can tell that within another week it will most likely be completely not functioning. I cannot fathom paying another $2-300 for a new phone after only having this phone for a year. It has worked perfectly up until about a week ago, conveniently just outside my warranty coverage. I'm at a loss as of what to do.

0 Likes