iPhone 5 making random calls
jessipalooza

Starting about three or four days ago, my phone and my husband's phone began to make random calls. We thought it was just to each other at first, but my friends from other providers and other phone types have also been saying I've called, but when they answer, there's no sound on the other end of the phone. When these calls are being made, the phone is sitting by itself on my desk or the table - nobody is touching it and the screen isn't even showing an outgoing call. Likewise, they're not showing in my outgoing call list. I've also received calls from random numbers that are not in my phone book - a "Pat at McDonald's" (saying I called them) and "Cat Facts" saying I'm now signed up to receive a fact a day (I tried to cancel on the call to no avail, but they have not called since either way).

Likewise, our data is extremely high this month for no apparent reason. While I am a YouTube fiend, I have not watched any more than I usually do and I have not made any downloads. I have not visited any websites on my phone that I don't normally visit and none of them are classified as shady. Neither have I downloaded any apps from the store that are questionable.

My first instinct is virus. I've tried resetting my phone multiple times and it obviously has not resolved the issue.

Has anybody else had this issue recently? Does anybody have a fix? This is extremely aggravating and I do not want my bill driven up because of some virus. And I just want it OFF my phone so I can have it back to normal.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 making random calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear jessipalooza,

Good afternoon. Wow, the issues you are experiencing with your device are extremely concerning. Let's get to the bottom of your equipment concerns.

I have did some research on the iPhone 5 and verified this is not a known issue. What software version do you have on your phone. To check tap on settings>general>about>version. Also reset your network settings by tapping on settings>general>reset>reset network settings. Then test service. If you still notice phone calls being made on it's own, please reach out to us for further assistance. Have a great day!

Thank You,
Michelle_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Kben

One of our phones (I phone 5) with software version 7.0.2 has made multiple random calls. It happened tonight when it was sitting face up on a flat surface. It had not been used for hours (it was 3:30 a.m.) the calls (3 of them) are showing in the outgoing call log and lists them as occurring every 2 minutes.  We would not have known, except that the person called us back. I can see by typing this problem into a search engine that we are not alone in this issue, but I can not find a fix in any of the search results. Is this still not a "known issue"?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there kben,

I'm sorry to hear that your iPhone is having the same issues. This is not a known issue on the device so lets try and take a look to see what is causing it. Did you have this issue before the 7.0.2 updated? Please try a soft reset,http://vz.to/16Qv4Id and let us know if the issues persist.

If the soft reset does not work, I would recommend performing a hard reset on the device,http://vz.to/17aDIPT.

Let us know if you need any additional assistance.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ljcchambers

I just watched my phone (new iPhone 5) randomly dial two different contacts (totally random, not people I have even called before, but have in my list from work). I have only had this phone since the Nov 27th (9 days). After I hit end call on the first call that was dialed, the screen went to another contact (by itself, sitting on the desk) and dialed it. I hit end again, then watched it go to the home screen and all the icons were jiggling like they do when you're moving them. Utterly bizzare. I grabbed it, double clicked the home button, and did the swype up thing on all the open apps. It has since stopped...but whoa. It was quite strange - wondering about a virus?

0 Likes
lidaC

I have the same problem but my phone is iphone 4 with the software update to the current one iOS 7.0.2. Some person just called me saying I called them. I told them I didn't call them. I was in class at the time so my phone was in my bag. I don't even have the other phone number is my recent list, which shows all the calls I placed. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello lidaC,

It's never good when your device interupts class, that is some bad timing and am greatly sorry to hear this happened to you. Let's get this alliviated so you will not have to worry about this again. Thanks for letting us know what software version you have. The current version for your iPhone 4 is 7.0.4. Provided are the steps to update your software. Thanks again for reaching out to us today and let us know if this helps!

iOS software update steps:
http://vz.to/1bK4k8C

-PeterV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter! @VZWSupport

0 Likes
welcome59

MY phone was doing the same thing. Verizon store reset phone but did not help. Verizon sent me a new phone only the camera did not work, I currently have the 3rd phone in 3 months.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@welcome59,

I definitely want to help get your phone acting right! I totally understand how frustrating this whole situation must have been for you.

You mentioned that VZW sent you a replacement phone already after having issue with the camera on the other phone. Is everything okay with the phone now? I'm here if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
reindeer776

http://www.prankdial.com/ That's what they've been using to call people and putting your numbers as the caller ID. It sends a pre-recorded message that's a prank. Cat facts is one of the ones that you can send. http://www.prankowl.com/ This also works but it's less popular. That's whats making it look like you've been calling people when you haven't. I would know because I've used this before

0 Likes