Will we ba able to use iMessage while traveling to Japan?
Sheba313cs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

My family is traveling to Japan next week. I would like to have communication method between my family for situations like "hey, where are you?" kind of short conversations, and I would also like to be able to call local Japanese numbers. We all have iPhones and We don't need to call to United States when we are in Japan. Is iMessage still gonna be free in Japan and work? What would be the cheapest way to go this? We will be in Japan for only 2 weeks. I also be able to see emails too. Any tricks, experience story or advice helps. Thanks!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Traveling to Japan
Weth
Legend

IF you just want iMessages, no text messages, and email:

-put your phone in airplane mode the moment you get on the plane and never turn it off until you are back home.  When in Japan, turn on wifi only and iMessages and email will work.   You will not be able to do text messages or any local calling

IF you want to call locally, get a verizon global plan for $40 and you will get 100 min talk, 100 text messages, and 100 MB data.

ALternative - when you arrive in Japan, get a local SIM card for local calls. 

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

IF you just want iMessages, no text messages, and email:

-put your phone in airplane mode the moment you get on the plane and never turn it off until you are back home.  When in Japan, turn on wifi only and iMessages and email will work.   You will not be able to do text messages or any local calling

IF you want to call locally, get a verizon global plan for $40 and you will get 100 min talk, 100 text messages, and 100 MB data.

ALternative - when you arrive in Japan, get a local SIM card for local calls. 

Sheba313cs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much for your advice!! That was very very helpful. I think I'll do the airplane mode. If that becomes too inconvenient then I'll think about getting a local SIM card. Thank you, again!! 🙂

0 Likes