Re: Why is my iPhone 5 Using So Much Data??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

achap78- We wouldn't want to lose you and we are here to help. Please accept my follow request and  follow me back. We can discuss this via a private message. I want to see how we can resolve this issue and maintain your loyalty and business.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tshflash, we want you happily connected. Regarding your iPhone's, I recommend making sure any automatic downloads are set to off at Settings > iTunes & App Store > turn all automatic downloads to off and/or "Use Cellular Data" option at the bottom.

Regarding your data, we don't have a 1.5 GB plan but it sounds like your plan may have gotten changed in the middle of your bill cycle. When that happens, it causes partial allowances and potential overage. I hope this helps.

ElizabethE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
QueenA123

I too am having issues with data on my iphone 5C.  I recently switched over from a droid charge and never had any issues even coming close to using 2GB, very rarely even got to 1GB.  It was a 4G as well, so I know that it's not that.  I also don't use my iphone any more than I used my Droid. I have changed a lot of my settings recently after reading comments on here, but if I look at previous months bills I can see that data usage has skyrocketed in the last three months (when I switched).  Hopefully the problem gets fixed soon, or I will be switching back to a Droid.  It seems silly that you have to close so many options to cut back on useage.  Isn't the purpose of a smart phone to be able to use it without having to worry about going over your plan?  I'm not upgrading to more usage either since I never had the problem previously.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

FWIW.. my 5C does not behave this way.  It remains connected to my wifi when the screen "sleeps" and the phone goes goes on standby.

When on my wifi, I can manually turn off all cellular transmissions and turn off the screen, putting the phone on standby-sleep... and the wifi remains activated.

Not applicable

You are correct. Both my iphones are still connected when on sleep, and when I plug in the charging cable.

My Netgear Genie shows them still active on WiFi

I could of sworn I posted a reply like this yesterday ??? Strange maybe I forgot to click post.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

This statement is NOT correct, it may have been at one point on an older iOS.  But todays iPhone 5/5s/5c/4s do not behave as you describe:

"It's a know fact that as soon as your screen goes blank wi-fi is shut off an Iphones."

My 5c and wifes 4s remain LOCKED onto to my wifi when the screen "sleeps" and the phone goes goes on standby.

Furthermore, I can manually turn off all cellular transmissions and turn off the screen, putting the phone on standby-sleep... and the wifi remains locked-on.  I stream www radio stations late at night this way.  I log into my router and see my wifi devices.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Elector wrote:

I could of sworn I posted a reply like this yesterday ??? Strange maybe I forgot to click post.

You mean this one? 

Not applicable

Yep that be the one.....

0 Likes
Liljnice
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same issue as everyone has been discussing! i upgraded from the 4S to the 5 lost my unlimited and i was told by Verizon i was no where CLOSE to using 2GB EVER! so i would be fine…NOW I'm up to 5GB and i go over it every single month and I'm not doing anything different on my phone than i was on the 4S! Honestly I'm better off turning my phone off leaving it in a draw until my contract is up so i can switch to SPRINT with UNLIMITED EVERYTHING!!  I have a iPhone that can't use ANY DATA from today the 9th until my new cycle which isn't until the 20th! this is just crazy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Liljnice,

I want you to be able to experience your phone to its full functionality. When using your device, do you connect to WiFi where available? This is the easiest and best way to manage and stay within your data allowance. How do you use your phone daily? Are you on the latest software version?

I would suggest turning off automatic downloads as Elizabeth suggested earlier in the thread. Here are the steps, Settings > iTunes & App Store > turn all automatic downloads to off and/or "Use Cellular Data" option at the bottom. I would also recommending using streaming services such as Netflix and Pandora over WiFi as such applications use the most data.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes