Why can't we have smartphones without data plans?
comma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently use two devices—a (dumb) cell phone for calls, and an iPod touch for apps and internet over WiFi. I'd really like to pare down the number of devices I carry around, so I was looking into getting an iPhone, but I see that one has to subscribe to a data plan to get a smartphone. Why?

$30/mo. seems pretty steep for the amount of time I spend in areas that don't have WiFi. Work and home have me covered. And I don't really need to be using the internet while I'm walking around the city. So paying for internet/WiFi at home and also paying for a separate internet service specifically for one device seems really redundant.

Labels (2)
Re: Why can't we have smartphones without data plans?
B33
Legend

That 's Just the Way Verizon Operates, I guess you could get a Used iPhone or find one through Amazon and hook it up to Wi-Fi but it would be same as you iPad.. but with out calling features.. But Verizon has some Good plans you just half to search and use Good judgement on the one you pick..

0 Likes
Re: Why can't we have smartphones without data plans?
comma
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I've been reading about the alternatives. Apparently a workaround on other carriers is to use a prepaid phone plan. I might have to investigate that further.

It just seems bizarre to me that I can't just have phone service on a smartphone when I have access to WiFi basically whenever I want it.

0 Likes