Why can I receive or send text messages to my contacts on iPhone 5s?
Tommyhau8

I recently got an iPhone 5s. However, I can't receive or send text messages to my contacts who have iPhones and don't. I have tried multiple methods:

-Tried to reset the network settings

-Tried to reset phone

-Turned on 'turn on SMS' option

-Tried to turn off the wifi and turning back on

-Tried to turn on the mobile data to send imessages and turning it off to try to send texts to non-iPhone users

None of these methods work.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can I receive or send text messages to my contacts on iPhone 5s?
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

First, be sure that the new device is active with Verizon, and that the old device is powered OFF.  Also, ensure that iMessage is turned ON in Settings-Messages-iMessage.  Be sure that the 'Send & Receive' option includes your current phone number for iMessage.

Second - be sure that Cellular Data is turned ON.  Otherwise, all data is restricted unless you're connected to Wi-Fi.  This includes texts - both SMS and iMessage.

Third - and this part is very important (and don't ask me why, but it works this way)....

* Open your Text Messages

* Under every Contact, check to see if the 'Undelivered' notification is there - it's a red exclamation point inside a            circle.  If it's there, hold your finger on it until the screen gives you the option to 'Try Again' or 'Delete'.  DELETE all messages to all Contacts with these notification symbols.

Then try sending another text or iMessage.  For some reason, if there's ONE undelivered text / iMessage, the iPhone refuses to send/receive as it should.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want all your messages getting through, Tommyhau8. I'd like to clarify though, are any text messages going through to anyone? Do you get an error message when you try to send a text? Do others get an error when they send you a text? Can you send a text to someone if they are not saved in your contacts?

JenniferH_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this your first phone with Verizon Wireless? In other words, did you port your number from another carrier to get this phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tommyhau8

None of the text messages are going through to anyone. I get an error message that the text couldn't be delivered. Others also get an error as well when they try to send a text to me. I tried to send a text to someone who is not saved as my contact and it still didn't work.

Ann154: No, this is my third phone with Verizon Wireless. I upgraded my old phone to an iPhone 5s yesterday.

0 Likes
Tommyhau8

None of the text messages are going through to anyone. I get an error message that the text couldn't be delivered. Others also get an error as well when they try to send a text to me. I tried to send a text to someone who is not saved as my contact and it still didn't work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to follow up, Tommyhau8. Are you able to use other services such as voice and data over the Verizon Wireless network? What previous device were you using? Is this old device off?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

First, be sure that the new device is active with Verizon, and that the old device is powered OFF.  Also, ensure that iMessage is turned ON in Settings-Messages-iMessage.  Be sure that the 'Send & Receive' option includes your current phone number for iMessage.

Second - be sure that Cellular Data is turned ON.  Otherwise, all data is restricted unless you're connected to Wi-Fi.  This includes texts - both SMS and iMessage.

Third - and this part is very important (and don't ask me why, but it works this way)....

* Open your Text Messages

* Under every Contact, check to see if the 'Undelivered' notification is there - it's a red exclamation point inside a            circle.  If it's there, hold your finger on it until the screen gives you the option to 'Try Again' or 'Delete'.  DELETE all messages to all Contacts with these notification symbols.

Then try sending another text or iMessage.  For some reason, if there's ONE undelivered text / iMessage, the iPhone refuses to send/receive as it should.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes