Virus using excessive data
BTKM

My daughter's iPhone 5 used a large amount of cellular data on three consecutive nights:

2.29GB on 12/16 at 3:22am

1.96GB on 12/18 at 4:51am

1.48GB on 12/17 at 3:21am

I suspect her phone has been infected with a virus.  How can I find and remove the virus?  Is there a way to scan the phone?   How can I apply to Verizon to get the usage cleared from my account?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Virus using excessive data
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I'm not aware of a virus that causes data usage on an iPhone but you can contact Apple to see if that is possible and what is the best way to deal with it. You can also try the usual (restore to factory). Only time I've heard of virus issues was with devices that were jail broken (make sure your daughter hasn't done that), but I may be wrong on that.

What does settings show as being heavy data users? At any rate, I doubt Verizon will give you credit for data use as its not something that Verizon has done to cause it. If you did have a virus then it would be something you would have to take care of...much like if your computer had a virus you couldn't expect your internet service provider to be responsible for it.

TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

Go into Cellular under Settings and if you scroll down you can see which applications have been using the most data since she's had the phone. Something must be running in the background because that is quite a bit of data in one session. Does she have an iPad or any other device she may be syncing it to?

If you scroll down to the bottom of Cellular in settings you can also "Reset Statistics" which clears out an previous data usage and that will better help you gauge where the data usage is coming from. You'll notice each app has a small number of data under it. Additionally, how the phone is set up via its setting features, downloaded apps and daily normal use affects how a smartphone uses data. How the phone requests the data and uses it or how much is not up to Verizon, call Verizon so they can help you understand what's happening and why. Don't wait until your bill cycle is over with the overages already applied to the next bill or else they will not help you with ANY credits.

Many 3rd party apps even within the iOS app store can be corrupt or comprised in some shape or form at times. Make sure she hasn't downloaded any new apps or games and delete them if needed. Make sure the software on her iPhone is up to date as well, far too many of us fail to take Apple's updates seriously and that's when problems arise. Apple can also run a diagnostic test on the iPhone and see if anything stands out so give that a shot. If nothing changes in the next few days, my best recommendation would be to backup the iPhone via iTunes on your computer and then restore it to a new iPhone. This will correct any issues if software related and load a new copy on the latest iOS 9.2 software version that is out from Apple. Guaranteed to fix it..... call Apple if you go through these steps.

0 Likes
Martianman68

I found the exact same problem this morning. Since 3/20, my son's iPhone 5s has suddenly used almost 4gb. And he never goes over our monthly data cap. I had him immediately shut off the cellular data on his phone until we figure out what's going on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see why sudden data has you concerned, Martianman68. The suggestion from the previous community memebr, TheNatural, was a great idea to check out for the cause. From Settings > Cellular, you can see all the applications that have been using cellular data and track down what created the use. What are the top 3 applications and the amount listed for each? Had he recently changed any back up settings or downloaded something new?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Martianman68

Took the phone into the local Verizon store yesterday--I think we figured it out. Apple recently added a "feature" called WiFi Assist. This uses cellular data to "help" your WiFi connection if they don't think it's working fast enough. Unfortunately the by-product is that your cellular data will be used even if you are on WiFi. My son runs YouTube videos as his "music" at night, so I'm sure at some point, the WiFi Assist kicked in. The Verizon rep turned that off, reset the stats on the applications (they hadn't been reset since he first got his first iPhone in 2014), and reset all the network settings. So far, so good. 15% of our data got used in a 4-hour period yesterday morning but since then we haven't seen any abnormal usage.

0 Likes
PLOW-PEOPLE

I have had wifi assist off forever and it still does excessive data. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

plow-people -

If you are using a lot of data with WIFI assist off, I can understand why you'd be concerned. Is this happening on multiple devices? Do you notice your WIFI turn off on your phone at any time? Does your WIFI go out in your home from time to time?

EricaC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes