Re: Verizon is billing me for data I simply DID NOT USE - huge unexplainable usage every 6 hours - and no one can explain it
ByteMe95

just went to check this but it was already off 😕

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is billing me for data I simply DID NOT USE - huge unexplainable usage every 6 hours - and no one can explain it
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

The default setting is already OFF.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Thats good to know... put it to rest already PLEASE Verizon.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Just ran a 15 minute google search and I could not find anything on an IOS 7.0.5 update to address excessive data use.  I hope the store rep was not just BS-ing.

0 Likes
Not applicable

ByteMe95 wrote:

only wifi, ive tried it all, its not the phone or the apps, its something verizon is doing wrong

Actually it sounds like an issue with the phone not Verizon. If you truly had the cellular data off all that time wouldn't be using any PERIOD. Seems like you should be asking Apple to fix this.

0 Likes
ByteMe95

that's a stretch, how can you be so sure?

for example I heard Verizon collects your usage information regularly over

the cell data line, maybe they are doing something wrong there

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
ByteMe95

So its been a week and still no talk about a new IOS version.  Will you be going back to discuss this with the manager?

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you want to believe in conspiracy theories I can do anything about that. I'm not sure why it's a stretch to think that there is an issue with the Iphone the vast majority of complaints about mysterious data usage seems to be almost exclusively with Iphone 5 users. We have 5 that's right 5 smartphones( none of them Iphones ) on our account and never encountered mysterious data usage. Were on the 6 GB Share Everything plan and rarely use more than 2 GB. Thinking about downgrading to 4 GB. You'd think if Verizon was going to tack on mysterious data charges we would be the prefect candidates

0 Likes
lemons4
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the very same issue, and I am using the iPhone 4S.  Having read many of the threads related to this data usage problem, it is clear that it is not just Apple products that are involved.  Verizon should explain to us exactly how the data usage is being accumulated...by the minute...the IP addresses, whether the data is incoming our outgoing, for how long...  I was told my a Verizon service rep that this information is confidential.  Excuse me?  It's MY information!!! 

I wish someone in this community had a phone number, email, or address that we could us to connect with someone at Verizon who could actually answer our questions and resolve our concerns.  Enough with the questions about whether we've turned off cellular data on specific apps, or whether we're running updates in the background, etc.  This data usage is occurring without the knowledge or consent of customers, at times when the phones, apps, data are turned OFF.  My phone showed an astronomical spike in usage last month.  NO WAY was it my activity.

0 Likes
GT77
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is not just an Apple issue.  Our account has my wife's Apple 4s and my brother-in-laws Nokia 928 on it.  The Nokia uses 30 times more data each month that the Apple, and it is largely coming in unexplained chunks ever 6 hours  Yesterday alone, one data charge of 1.27 GB showed up!  We've done everything possible to control any apps that might be running in the background, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Verizon needs to own up to this problem and come up with a solution.  I think at this point we'll insist on a new phone of a different type, and add apps only one at a time to be sure we don't end up repeating this situation.