Verizon is billing me for data I simply DID NOT USE - huge unexplainable usage every 6 hours - and no one can explain it
ByteMe95

My wife and I both had iphone 4S' on verizon for years with no issues.  My wife recently upgraded to an Iphone 5c and ever since her data usage has gone through the roof.  After talking wtih Apple and Verizon countless times and getting no answers, im reaching out to the community.

The issue is very VERY obvious in that our detail usage breakdown shows my wife being charged for some data usage every 6 hours for stuff she never did.  And, to make matters worse, my wife is home most of the time connected to wifi!   I don't know what it is, but something, somewhere, which on one can explain, is generating huge amounts of data usage on my wife's iphone 5c ( my phone is fine ).  I will attach a sample picture below which shows just one or two days of this, but this happens every dingle day.

I want to upgrade my phone and actually get a third line, but im scared to hit this issue on two more phones.  I dont know whats going on here and why no one can give me a straight answer.  As far as im concerned verizon is scamming us by injecting this usage and hitting people with overages.

Some points:

- random usage on a clear 6 hour cycle

- some of the usage is clearly in the middle of the night when we're asleep

- MOST of the usage is when the phone is home connected to wifi

- we have turned off background refresh

- we reset cell data usage in settings and viewed it the next day, it did NOT show the usage verizon is charging me for

I've seen other posts here and on apple discussion forums with other people having the same exact issue! I want ANSWERS or im going to have to cancel my contract and move to AT&T, which I would really hate to do because other than this verizon has been great!  I've also seen some people mention that verizon polls for usage data every 6 hours, can there be some bug there that is making it use WAAAY more data than needed? ( perhaps an intentional revenue generating bug...??? )

Please HELP!

Thanks

- Rob

USAGE:

verizon.png

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon is billing me for data I simply DID NOT USE - huge unexplainable usage every 6 hours - and no one can explain it
Cruser2008
Contributor - Level 2

If I may ask, what data package does her line have? Just from the usage that you took the screen shot of it's only about 200MB of data. Those numbers aren't real time, they are updated as soon as Verizon receives the data from the towers.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is billing me for data I simply DID NOT USE - huge unexplainable usage every 6 hours - and no one can explain it
ByteMe95

We have a family share plan with 4GB of data.  Bear in mind the screen shot above is for 2 days, so lets roughly multiply 200MB x 15 and we're already at 3GB of completely unaccountable data.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Do you have app updates set to use cellular data or only WiFi?

0 Likes
ByteMe95

only wifi, ive tried it all, its not the phone or the apps, its something verizon is doing wrong

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

YES... I too had the same problems.  Rampant data useage, all hours of the night.

The 5 5c and 5s phones on Verizon LTE are set up this way by default from the factory to GUZZLE cellular data at an alarming pace.

My findings here in this vid.  please take time to read the discussion comments, and click on the "SHOW MORE" option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

ByteMe95

app updates? not sure what you mean exactly

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
ByteMe95

that's 200MB of unaccounted for data usage over te course of TWO DAYS

that's 3Gb for the month!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Settings > iTunes and App Store > Automatic Downloads > Use Cellular Data > Off

Titus619
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi .... I to have ridiculous charges...I went into verizon tonight and talked to a manager about my data usage which is BS...I just got the iphone 5c on Saturday......I showed him how the phone says I used data while wifi and cellular data was TURNED OFF.....we reset  my data to 0 and he watched me turn on cellular data and I went into my APPADVISOR app ....it is a clean app which uses minimal data compared to the internet...I was in the app 10 seconds and I got out quick and made sure the app was no longer running in the background.....we watched me get charged for 6mb of data in 10 seconds which was not only in my settings , but reflected real time in my verizon app that checks my data usage which is what my billing is based on

...I have unlimited talk, text with my 4gig of data sharing I have with my wife that we pay 70 bucks per phone a month........he then watched me text my brother on iMessage and get charged 16kb....I message should be free of data....we then went to ESPN for another counted 10 seconds and I got charged 4.8 MB.....the manager was dumbfounded by me showing this to him in real time......he stated the following which I hope is not a lie:

APPLE AND VERIZON ARE AWARE AND BEING FLOODED WITH DATA USAGE ISSUES WHICH SEEM TO BE REFLECTING SPIKED DATA CHARGES FOR THE IPHONE 5c and 5s ONLY.......APPLE IS COMING OUT WITH IOS 7.0.5 in the next week to fix these issues.....he gave me his card and he took my information and said if in this billing cycle I go over 4 gig of data, he will eat the overage fee.....we shall see what all transpires in the coming weeks but there is something jacked on apples or Verizon's end with the 5c and 5s phones...