Verizon doesn't want to sell me an unsubsidized iPhone5
tbinut

So I waited a couple of months for my local Verizon store tohave iPhone 5s in stock for immediate purchase and pickup.  I have an unlimited data plan and was happy to pay full price for the phone to keep it. I don’t use a lot of data, but I was willing to pay a premium for the peace of mind of an unlimited data plan. I just visited the local store and the sales associate, after hearing what I wanted, said “I highly discourage you from buying the phone from Verizon and recommend you buy directly from Apple.  There is no advantage to purchasing it from Verizon and Apple can give you more "swag”.  Huh?  All I wanted is a phone.  I don’t blame the sales associate; he was just following a corporate script.  I understand there is little profit in selling an unsubsidized phone, but I was also going to buy insurance and accessories, not to mention that my family spends ~$4k/yr. for Verizon services.  This appears to be a new strategy to wrestle away the unlimited data plan.  Every time I visit the Verizon store I leave frustrated. This most recent visit, I left frustrated and without a phone, and I am strongly considering moving to a different service provider-no matter what it costs.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon doesn't want to sell me an unsubsidized iPhone5
Not applicable

Perhaps you should do that. Then you'll be helping fulfill Verizon's goal of getting people off of unlimited.

0 Likes
ndahi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why not buy it from the Apple store? That is what I did. And I kept my unlimited data and did not get tagged with an upgrade fee by Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ndahi wrote:

Why not buy it from the Apple store? That is what I did. And I kept my unlimited data and did not get tagged with an upgrade fee by Verizon.

Next your next bill after upgrading,  The upgrade fee will be there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes