Using too much data! Help...
jt1234

I'm trying to figure out how we are going through so much data.  We recently switched from tmobile (and 2 Samsung Galaxy III's and one nonsmartphone) to Verizon (3 iphone 5S).  With our previous provider we had 5GB data and NEVER even came close to 3GB.  We are only halfway through the month on the Verizon plan with 6GB of data and we have already used 5.3GB!!  The 2 of us that had the Samsung phones before, are doing nothing different, but our phones are eating up the data like no tomorrow. How can we figure out what is going wrong here??  Help!  I'm seriously regretting making this switch.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using too much data!  Help...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're humbled to have you part of the Verizon Wireless family. I want to ensure that you have a positive experience here with us. What type of services are you using on your device? Feel free to check our data usage to review what type of services use the most data ( vzw.com/datacalculator )

I would also suggest turning off auto app updates over the cellular data network. This can be turned off via Settings > iTunes & App Store > Use Cellular Data. You can also choose what applications use cellular data via Settings > Cellular

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're humbled to have you part of the Verizon Wireless family. I want to ensure that you have a positive experience here with us. What type of services are you using on your device? Feel free to check our data usage to review what type of services use the most data ( vzw.com/datacalculator )

I would also suggest turning off auto app updates over the cellular data network. This can be turned off via Settings > iTunes & App Store > Use Cellular Data. You can also choose what applications use cellular data via Settings > Cellular

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Using too much data! Help...
praj4144

I too am going through my data ridiculously fast. I switched from Sprint to Verizon. I had unlimited everything plan with sprint and never came close to using 1 GB in a cycle which is why I chose to go with the 1 GB plan with Verizon. But I am coming so close to going over it I just cannot believe it!!! I am 4 days into a new cycle and already used 15% of my data!!!! How so?? I keep my cellular data turned off and only turn it on when I use it. HOW CAN THIS BE THAT I AM DAMN NEAR GOING OVER EVERY CYCLE??

Also I am not receiving texts from other iPhone users when I am not on data. I have to turn that on to receive their messages??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for joining the Verizon family, praj4144.
I understand your concerns with data and text messages. Are you also using an iPhone? If so, are iMessages enabled?  Do you use WiFi when you can?

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
praj4144

yes I am using iPhone 5s. I only turn on cellular data when I need it and

at home I'm on WiFi.

and I have imessage off.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those are good practices praj4144. Sounds like you are also using wireless data as well. What type of functions or apps are you using with it? What makes you think it isn't billing accurately?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
praj4144

I have everything off when not in use (Wifi, wireless data, cellular data)

the only time I turn it on is to use Instagram and weather apps and to look

something up on internet. And that is only for about 30 minutes during the

day since I am at work and then in evenings I am pretty much at home on my

wifi.

Just wondering how I use 15% of my data in 4 days. Never used to EVER come

close to using 1 GB in a cycle with Sprint and with Verizon I almost go

over ever time!

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

praj4144,

Thank you so much for the details. Let's take a deeper look into this data usage. Have you logged on to My Verizon during the month to see when the data is being used? Do you have e-mail set up on your phone? If so, do you send emails from your phone? If you do, I would check the mailbox folders to make sure that there is not an e-mail stuck trying to be sent out. Do you use GPS on your phone at all? Let's go into Settings, Cellular, under the "Use Cellular Data for:" What apps are showing the most data is being used? You should see either KB or MB. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes