Using someone else's upgrade
ScottSlasher17

My grandparents have an upgrade waiting, and i want to get the new iphone 5. Can i buy it on their account and transfer it on my account? Would they have to get a new data plan even if i do transfer it? Also, i heard the iphone 5 has a sim card slot, how would i get my own sim card? (i've been using the iphone 4)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using someone else's upgrade
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Scott
I wish I had nice grandparents like yours! I would be happy to answer all of your questions. Yes, you can use your grandparents upgrade and order the iPhone 5. If they have a smartphone they would need to choose one of our tiered data plans. See them here: http://bit.ly/NcXYGp The device comes with a Sim card. It would first need to be activated on their line. Then it could be activated on your line. The warranty would not transfer once the device was on another account.

Please reach out to us if we can be of any assistance.
Thank you
JoeL_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
muijitos

If you use someone else's upgrade, is there any way to bypass activating on their line first? If there isn't, after you activate their line, when's the earliest you can switch -- 24 hours? Does the family member have to be present when you go to the store to get a new micro-sim card (for iPhone 5) and activate that device on your line? Can you switch the family member's device back online or does it have to be done in-store?

0 Likes
ikoiko
Enthusiast - Level 2

"The warranty would not transfer once the device was on another account."

This is not true for AppleCare. From Apple's web site:

Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?

Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

I strongly recommend buying AppleCaref for your iPhone. I have it for each of my Apple devices (iPhone and Macbook Pro) and it has been a sound investment.

0 Likes