Using Country Codes?
BILL-50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased the one month plan to use my iPhone 5 while in Japan.  If I want to call a Japanese phone number while I am there, do I still need to use 011 and 81 (Japan's country code) before the local number?  Or can I just dial the local Japan phone number? Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Country Codes?
Weth
Legend

You would dial +81 and then the local number. Use the plus sign instead of 011. To dial the USA, you would dial +1 and then the area code and then the number.

It is a great idea to save all your numbers in your contacts list to use the +1 (123) 456-7890 and the equivalent for people you know overseas. When you have it saved in your contact list in this format, the number will always work no matter where you are - at home or when travelling abroad.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You would dial +81 and then the local number. Use the plus sign instead of 011. To dial the USA, you would dial +1 and then the area code and then the number.

It is a great idea to save all your numbers in your contacts list to use the +1 (123) 456-7890 and the equivalent for people you know overseas. When you have it saved in your contact list in this format, the number will always work no matter where you are - at home or when travelling abroad.

0 Likes
BILL-50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  I got me started in the right direction.  Good idea about updating the contact list.  UPDATE: It worked to/from USA & Japan.  But WITHIN Japan I had trouble. VW Tech Support was not able to figure out the problem.  I noticed that the "leading zero" from the Japanese phone numbers should not be dialed.  Example: if we used 045, just use +81 45 #########.  And 090 would be +81 90 #########.  You can leave out the spaces, of course.  What helped while in Japan was searching for a hotel on my browser.  The noticing that the suggested phone number worked!  Again, Weth ... Thanks, the tips you provided did help.  Hopefully tech support will notice my tweak of dropping the leading zero within Japan, but using it only when calling Japan from the USA.

EUGCOL56
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you have the Verizon 100mb plan?

And is 100mb enough data for apps, maps, google, etc. to use as needed?

Is this plan only useful for infrequent/emergency type use?

0 Likes
BILL-50
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I had the 250MB plan and went over it.  Ended up paying double.  Guess it was my Map My Walk app that was using too much data.   During a two week trip, I only used the phone twice for phone calls to the USA.  At least Verizon sent me warning messages for each $25 addition.  Going to test it out again in June and try bettwr to monitor my data useage. some friends have suggested I get a disposable phone in Japan next time.   will see how it goes on this next trip, and going to find richer friends to travel with!

0 Likes