Upgrading to iPhone 5 by transferring upgrade?
Quez51

So I would very much like to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it's available to pre-order this week. I currently have the iPhone 4S on a 2-year contract that I bought on launch day (October 14,2011). My brother, who has an Env-Touch, has been available for an upgrade for over a couple years now & he's ready to upgrade. If I transfer his upgrade to my line and buy the iPhone 5, could I give him my old iPhone 4S and he can just get the number transferred to my old iPhone? How does that kind of thing work, when you buy a phone off a family member?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading to iPhone 5 by transferring upgrade?
chromepickle
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can use his upgrade and pass your 4S to him with no problems. I have done this before in the past.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
chromepickle
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can use his upgrade and pass your 4S to him with no problems. I have done this before in the past.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Is his phone on your account??  If not you can still do what you want but he will not be able to to upgrade again for 2 years. And if he has an unlimited data plan, he will lose it if you are planning on getting the device at a subsidized price

0 Likes
ecigN8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called and talked to Verizon today about this same thing.  I was told I would lose my unlimited plan if I did an alternate upgrade. However, if I used my wife's available update, to get the discount and replace her dumb phone.  I could set it up using a "$30 2gb plan", instead of being forced out of my unlimited plan. Then I could imediatly reactivate her old phone with her old number and activate the new IPhone on my number. The 30gb plan would just cancel and and I would be charged $1 or so for the one day of use.  If you are not concerned about being forced out of a plan you can do the same thing... and just do an alternate upgrade.  Once you get the new phone activate it on your line.  Then your old 4s will be free to be activated on your brothers line, (if his has a data plan). 

dogisrain

What does upgrading to an iPhone 5 have to do with my plan? 

0 Likes
BDA
Contributor - Level 1

This is what I did for my 4s. Actually went into a corporate store and they did it all for me.

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

if you have an umlimited data plan you will lose it if you use your verzion upgrade you have to pay full price for the phone to not lose it.

0 Likes
bhi

wow... sorry to be dense, but I don't get it. so if I have unlimited data on a family plan with 4 lines and 2 lines are now eligible for an upgrade (one is a smartphone one is not), I can't transfer one of them to my line and get the iphone 5 without losing my unlimited plan?? 

0 Likes
BDA
Contributor - Level 1

Upgrade one of the other lines first then switch the new iphone to your line and you can keep unlimited data. The contract on the other line is extended but you can switch the old phone back onto that line with no changes to your contract.

0 Likes