Unlocked IPhone 5 - dual data and voice on other networks?
lclerk

My understanding is that all IPhone 5s on Verizon are unlocked, meaning you can take them to a competitor like AT&T and use them on its network. 

So the question is: if I were to take my unlocked Veriozon's IPhone 5 to AT&T, will the phone have dual voice/data capabilities?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocked IPhone 5 - dual data and voice on other networks?
budone
Legend

Although the iPhone 5 does have both technologies, a VZW phone can not be used on another carrier if used in the US. The same thing for AT&T IPhones, they can not be used on. CDMA system in the US

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

While both Apple and Verizon deny you can take your Verizon iPhone 5 to another US carrier, there are users on these forums who claim they have been able to do so. You will have to see for yourself.

I am unsure what you mean by "dual voice/data capabilities". If you mean being able to have active accounts on Verizon and AT&T with only one phone, I guess you could technically do so. You would NOT, however, be able to have the phone access both accounts AT THE SAME TIME. The phone only has 1 SIM slot. You must have a SIM in the phone from your carrier for the phone to be able to access the carrier's network. You would have to keep trading the SIMs from the 2 different carriers to be able to switch between the 2 carriers.

If you mean something else by "dual voice/data capabilities", then I don't know the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

If you mean something else by "dual voice/data capabilities", then I don't know the answer.

They may be referring to the 'missing radio' issue with Verizon iPhones that prevents data usage while on a phone call (unlike AT&T, where you can surf while talking).

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, that could also be an interpretation. Good catch.

0 Likes
lclerk

Thanks for the answer.  According to NBC, apparently you can take VZW's iPhone to AT&T: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/verizon-wireless-says-iphone-5-wont-be-relocked-1B607824...

By "dual voice/data capabilities," I mean that the VZW iPhone 5 can't do voice and data simultaneously whereas AT&T can.  So if I were to take the VZW's iPhone 5 to AT&T, could it do voice and data simultaneously? (Presuming that it would work on the AT&T network to begin with.)

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I can't answer that question, however since the Verizon iPhone 5 has different radios than the AT&T iPhone 5(no CDMA radio in the AT&T version) I wouldn't count on it.

It would be best to go with the AT&T version to insure the capability.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Do you have a friend that has a nanoSIM card on AT&T?  If so, ask that person to put his/her SIM card in your iPhone 5 (assuming that you have it already) and see if you can make a phone call and use data at the same time.

0 Likes
lclerk

I do not, but that is a excellent suggestion.

0 Likes