Unlimited Data Gone with iPhone 5 upgrade
MEJG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I woke up early today to preregister for the iPhone 5.  After getting through all the screens to pick the phone it puts up a simple text box saying the unlimited data plan is now unavailable and just an option to click "ok".   NO WAY after getting up at 3am, this is my only option.  I closed out my browser and figured I could solve it when the customer service line opened. 

I called customer service and the gentleman told me if I wanted the discounted price on the iPhone 5 I would need a new agreement without unlimited data.  We just upgraded my wifes phone to a 4S a few months ago and they let us keep her unlimited, but you can't with the 5. 

So after 10 years of being a verizon customer and paying their premium, I say no more... taking away unlimited data was the last straw. I think it's time to try another carrier.  Can you preorder the iPhone 5 at AT&T or another carrier and transfer your number or do I have to wait until next week?     Anyone know?

Labels (1)
Re: Unlimited Data Gone with iPhone 5 upgrade
mikemarro
Enthusiast - Level 2

In all honesty, switching won't do you any good either.  AT&T does not allow unilmited data anymore either as they are on a "shared data plan" as well.  They are allowing customers who have one to keep theirs, unlike Verizon (well, you can keep it with Verizon unless if you pay full price - just not at discounted pricing), even if they take advantge of the discounted contract pricing.  However, any new customers will be forced into a shared data plan as well.  It is the way that all these providers are going. 

Sprint does still have unlimited data (for now), but, I have friends that have Sprint and they complain left and right about the service (at least here in Chicago).

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You would need to contact the provider you're interested in to find that out for sure. But as mentioned, if you're switching with the hopes of keeping unlimited data then your only option would  be to switch to Sprint. If the service is fine in your area then that's a plus. Otherwise, you won't get unlimited any where else either.

0 Likes
MEJG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hear Sprint is really good here in Charlotte, I just need to find out if I can switch my number with a preorder or wait until next week.  It's a shame that Verizon is going to loose a number of good customers because of a few that abused the unlimited data. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

This was announced 3 months ago that you can't take a discount and keep unlimited.  Let me repeat that, THREE MONTHS AGO. And sorry at&t dropped unlimited awhile ago themselves. Verizon isn't losing anyone. Go to Sprint. When they get enough unlimited customers their network will slow to a crawl. The sooner you unlimited folks leave the sooner Verizon can up the caps for everyone else.

0 Likes
MEJG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry if people have better things to do with their life than follow Verizons' announcements.  Trust me, a lot of people will leave, the competition is much better than they were 5 years ago. Technology and bandwith are getting cheeper, if you are happing being taken advantage of, well then go ahead and stay.  Making someone go from unlimited to 2GB for the same price is just a plain ripoff.

21stNow
Master - Level 1

MEJG wrote:

Sorry if people have better things to do with their life than follow Verizons' announcements.  Trust me, a lot of people will leave, the competition is much better than they were 5 years ago. Technology and bandwith are getting cheeper, if you are happing being taken advantage of, well then go ahead and stay.  Making someone go from unlimited to 2GB for the same price is just a plain ripoff.

It's actually smart to keep up with the policies of the companies that you spend money with.

jediuia

MEJG wrote:

I woke up early today to preregister for the iPhone 5.  After getting through all the screens to pick the phone it puts up a simple text box saying the unlimited data plan is now unavailable and just an option to click "ok".   NO WAY after getting up at 3am, this is my only option.  I closed out my browser and figured I could solve it when the customer service line opened. 

I called customer service and the gentleman told me if I wanted the discounted price on the iPhone 5 I would need a new agreement without unlimited data.  We just upgraded my wifes phone to a 4S a few months ago and they let us keep her unlimited, but you can't with the 5. 

So after 10 years of being a verizon customer and paying their premium, I say no more... taking away unlimited data was the last straw. I think it's time to try another carrier.  Can you preorder the iPhone 5 at AT&T or another carrier and transfer your number or do I have to wait until next week?     Anyone know?

So you want unlimited talk, text and data? Where do I sign up? I suppose you want all of this for $40 a month?

I just transferred from att, they have worse deals going on over there. They are still on minute/text plans, as well as data, good luck with that.

0 Likes
Wescyde
Contributor - Level 1

AT&T has mobile share unlimited talk n text but they have less options on data and more expensive.  6gb on Verizon shared is $80 on AT&T it's $90. But they charge $35 per smartphone n Verizon charges $40.  It evens out just depends sprint is only unlimited data

0 Likes
MACHINE101
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you got the money pay full retail or you can just add a line on a family share plan and upon receiving the phone activate it on your desired line. So you will end up paying 9.99 extra a month for the new line. But you will still have unlimited data! As for the new line initially assigned to the phone put a dummy phone on that line. Too simple,I'm keeping my unlimited data!

0 Likes