Re: Unexplained Data Overage!!??
Longoria49
Enthusiast - Level 3

The point is that only using wifi makes your phone a very expensive iPod. The reset and restore resolved the issue for me.

You should not be restricted to only using wifi when you pay to use data.

0 Likes
Sith123

FYI

I posted above but the data killer under services is iTunes accounts, and no I don't use tunes on my phone and have it disabled. I don't use iCloud either (read on a post that it was the culprit). Other culprits are Push Notifications,Software Updates even though I have turned them off

0 Likes
Sith123

I will try the reset and restore. But my post was to indicate that even if you try to use your phone as an iTouch and only use Wi-Fi it will still go out and get data for System Services. Maybe Apple does not care that it does this but Verizon should be furious, as they are getting the brunt of the complaints. 

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

A few things you can do which will help drastically. My android went from almost 3 GB per month usage to under 300 MB per month by doing these simple things.

Get rid of Backup Assistant (disable it if you can, turn it off, remove it, whatever your phone will allow you to do with it)

Get rid of MyVerizon Mobile

Get rid of Facebook (unless you use it)

Change the settings on your phone to only update over WiFi (this does NOT mean to use only WiFi, it means only the APP updates will be restricted to WiFi only.

Change the settings on your apps to only sync on WiFi  except for apps like Facebook, email, texting etc... (the ones you use all the time and real time)

You do not need the Data Hog of Backup Assistant running anytime it wants and sometimes all day long if Verizon has a server issue. That will kill your battery as well as eat up your data real fast because BUA will update everything again if it fails at 99% (it will start over at 0% and download all of that data again.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want only the best wireless service for you and for you to get the most out of your data! You mentioned that 11GB of your current 20 were used during 3 valid sessions. Were the picture files for high quality images? Do you upload these types of files often?

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Unexplained Data Overage!!??
Longoria49
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well......after the reset I did, all appears to be back to normal. My bill cycle closed out with 2.1G usage of data.  I will certainly be monitoring my account VERY closely for irregular behavior.

I did end up getting usage credits even though the data overage was attributed to an "Apple issue". The high usage started shortly after my upgrade to iOS 7.  I filed a complaint with the BBB and was contacted a few days later by Verizon corporate. I heard back yesterday and was provided a bill credit for my data overage.

I did not make ANY changes to my phone settings such as disabling cellular usage for certain apps or disabling Facebook because then I would not be using my phone the way I want which is what I pay for.

Good luck to the rest of you that have experienced this issue. The Verizon rep I spoke with stated that the Verizon support rep should have recommended that I call Apple as well.

Either way.......I am once again a satisfied customer.

0 Likes
Longoria49
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well.....the issue is back. I just added a 2nd phone to my account. iPhone 5c. The phone was added on April 9 (so less than 2 weeks ago) and I am nearing 6G of data on that line.

The phone is not used very much. It streams music a few times a day, watches the occasional YouTube video and checks a couple emails. Not even enough to warrant the 6G in less than 2 weeks.

I received the ominous "nearing data limit" a few days after adding the new phone so promptly did a reset as I had on my iPhone 5 since that resolved the issue. In this case that did not work.

I am not even wanting to waste my time on opening a ticket with Verizon since the last time the action was pointless.

Have there been any new developments/fixes for this issue?

This is getting REALLY exhausting!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret to learn that you are experiencing the same issues again. I would like to dig a bit deeper. Please send me a follow request so that we can look into this further.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Longoria49
Enthusiast - Level 3

What is a "follow request"? Also what information do you need to investigate this issue?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks Longoria49. Lena A sent you a follow request, which you will need to accept to be able to send a direct message(DM).

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes