Unable to send/receive group text messages!!!
crosby1

iPhone 5 with iOs 7.0.4

I don't use LTE/3G data, so that is turned off.  I only use wireless data when connected to my home or other free network.

When NOT connected to a wireless network, I am unable to send or receive group messages either from other iPhones or Android-based phones.

This is incredibly annoying.

Do I really have to have my LTE/3G data enabled in order to send/receive group text messages????

If so, that's a complete waste of my data package as far as I'm concerned.  I really don't care about the whole "iMessage" thing, so I'm not sure why I can't send/receive group text messages as plain texts????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to send/receive group text messages!!!
crosby1

Any help with this??

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

crosby1 wrote:

iPhone 5 with iOs 7.0.4

Do I really have to have my LTE/3G data enabled in order to send/receive group text messages????  YES.

If so, that's a complete waste of my data package as far as I'm concerned. ... I'm not sure why I can't send/receive group text messages as plain texts????

Group messages are considered MMS, not SMS.  MMS is transmitted over the cellular (data) network.  It does NOT use your data plan, it uses your texting allowance.  But data DOES need to be enabled to send and receive group and picture texts.

0 Likes
mdmorgan

If you are on a Verizon Post-Paid plan, Multi-Media messages or MMS messages shouldn't require data due to the fact that all of it is added to your message allowance in every billing cycle.

0 Likes