Thinking about selling Iphone 5 for new WIndows Phone
marine3228

So I am a new Iphone 5 user. Went from a Motorola Droid to an Apple product. I must say I like the Iphone 5, but I like the new windows phone. I have even thought about selling my Iphone 5 to get the Windows phone. ANyone have any thoughts about the windows phones compared the the Iphone 5?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Thinking about selling Iphone 5 for new WIndows Phone
21stNow
Master - Level 1

As a past user of an iPhone 4 and a Windows Phone 7.5 device, I would say that the user experiences are similar, with the exception of far fewer apps being available for Windows Phone.  However, there are several apps available and I could find a livable level of satisfaction with the app selection.  There are fewer accessories available for any Windows Phone device (or any other phone, for that matter) than for the iPhone.  One thing that I think that has changed for Windows Phone 8 is that users will no longer sync through Zune on the PC.  I'm not up-to-speed with this part, so if this is important to you, you might want to research this further.

The other thing that may impact your user experience would be how integrated into Apple's ecosystem you are.  Even though you said that you just got the iPhone 5, I don't know if you are an iPad or iPod user that relied on iTunes for content management.  Your other ecosystem concerns would include whether or not you use iCloud for media storage and whether or not your friends send you text messages in iMessage.  If none of these things are big deals for you, then a switch to a different mobile OS may be fine.

Your other differences are your hardware differences.  You didn't name a specific Windows Phone device, but I think that every Windows Phone that is coming out is larger than an iPhone 5.  Were you attracted to the thin and light profile of the iPhone 5, or did you think that the screen was too small?  The cameras on the iPhone 5 and the upcoming Windows Phone devices are said to rival each other, so that probably won't be a major consideration for you.

There are many other things to consider, but hopefully my questions will remind you of what you consider to be important, and you can go from there.  I always recommend hands-on time with a new device that you are considering, so go to stores to try out Windows Phone devices to get more of a feel for them.

marine3228

The reason why I switched to the Iphone 5 was just because I was elgible for an upgrade at the time. I went into the store when the iphone 5 came out to ask something about my wifes phone and asked if they had any iphone 5 and they said yes. A bunch of friends have iphones and love them, but I just wonder if I got it for the hype or the features.

Honestly, all I use my cell phone is to make calls, check facebook, surf the web, may take a few pictures here and there. Not really using any of the cloud devices. For streaming music, I use Pandora since I am on unlimited data plan.

A good friend has a Windows phone and loves it and I am just wondering if it's worth switching. I already have Micro USB adapters from my old phone I can use, but I also have the same for my Iphone 5 with the lightning adapters.

I like the idea of the tiles background, able to do flash

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

As far as I know, Windows Phone won't be able to do Flash.  Adobe stopped supporting mobile browsers as of Jellybean in Android, and I have never known Adobe to support Flash on Windows Phone.  Maybe there was a workaround that I was unaware of.

Other than Flash, Windows Phone may be good for you.  Any smartphone would be able to do those things that you listed, and the newer Windows Phones are known for their camera quality.  Plus, I see an offer for one year of Pandora free on Windows Phone 8 devices (please research to make sure that is the version of Pandora that you like).

I'm confused about your statement regarding upgrading your phone and having unlimited data, though.  I thought that you couldn't keep unlimited data if you took a subsidized upgrade for your new phone.

0 Likes