Text to email becomes text file attachment
tipperni

I have an iPhone 5, updated with the most current iOS software.  When sending a text message to an e-mail address, it appears Verizon's network is treating every message as a picture message (reply address XXXXXXXXXX@vzwpix.com) rather than a simple text message (reply address XXXXXXXXXX@vtext.com).  Because the message is now treated as a picture message, the text component of the message becomes an attached file (text_0.txt) rather than the text existing in the body of the e-mail.  I have tested this e-mail capability against a Droid Bionic and the message sends as expected (as a XXXXXXXXXX@vtext.com, message content in the body of the email).  My test message to my e-mail address only included the word "test".  The message does not exceed the 160 character limit.  I have attempted to adjust messaging settings (SMS ON, etc) with no luck.  I have reset network settings with no luck.  Looking through the forums, I am not the only person experiencing this problem. 

Our company uses software that sends messages to our phone using the vtext.com address.  Responding to the text message resets an alarm on a piece of equipment.  Because the response is in the form of an attached .txt file, the software cannot parse the response properly and address the alarm.  Simple text messages that include no images, sent from iPhone, MUST send to e-mail addresses properly with text content in the BODY of the e-mail, not as an attachment.  Other smart phones seem to do this properly.  I would like this addressed ASAP.  This is becoming costly for our company.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text to email becomes text file attachment
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Is there a question?

0 Likes
Ray-n-Tosca

It wasn't explicitly stated, but the question was:

Is there a fix for the bug in the iMessage/Verizon-SMS service that erroneously converts 100% text SMS messages sent to one ore more email addresses into an MMS message with an attached .TXT file containing the original SMS text?

As far as I can tell, non-iOS users on Verizon sending SMS text messages to email addresses and iOS users on non-Verizon networks are not affected by this bug.  It seems to only affect iOS users on the Verizon network.

0 Likes
tipperni

Thanks Ray-n-Tosca for restating my original rant in the form of a question.  I'm glad you understand what challenges we face.  Like you, we have identified the problem is specific to iOS users on Verizon's network.  Non-iOS users are unaffected by this problem. 

I'm sure Verizon can identify whether the problem stems from a problem in their network or it stems from a problem with the iOS phone or software.  Some clarity to the problem would help determine which way to point our fingers (Verizon or Apple).

0 Likes