Re: Terminating iPhone 4 contract in order to get a iPhone 5s
JennyMGr
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I'm saying is, read the comments on the board "Data Usage on iPhone 5s".  2 GB of data might be fine with your current phone, but apparently with the iPhone you will need to turn off a lot of things (in other words, you'll need to dumb down your new smart phone) or purchase a way larger GB plan.  That's why I haven't bought a 5s yet. 

muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Yes you should spend some time and  read up on all the 5, 5c, 5s rampant data use threads a little.  There are some pretty IRATE customers out there, who like you upgraded from the 4s to one of the newer "5" models and are now being charged for excessive data use.  There are surely an even larger percentage of (unsuspecting) customers who have just accepted the higher $$$ data plans, and monthly over-charges.

In a nutshell... the iphone 5 models on LTE will consume at least 6-10x the amount of cellular data as your 4s... with the latest iOS version, running iOS factory default settings.  So what you have to do is deactivate LTE, and turn off all the "smart phone" creature comfort features, and essentially dial back your 5/5c/5s to a dumb phone.  It requires you to manually turn on the cellular data option for those apps that really need it.

The 5s and 5c on AT&T LTE network do not behave this way.  I know for a fact, having compared co-workers phones directly with my 5c on Verizon.  Those co-workers run their phones on the iOS default settings as feature-rich smart phones, with ATT LTE network engaged... and do not have this problem.

My wife has a 4s for 2.5 years now.  I have spent a lot of time comparing the two phones... and honestly, I don't think the benefits of upgrading outweigh the serious drawback.  If I wanted a feature rich smart iphone 5c or 5s on LTE... I'd go with AT&T... If you go with Verizon you will need at least a 6-10G data plan... possibly WAY more depending on how you use the phone/network.

My findings here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bernard.A  Hello there! We definitely understand you wanting to have the luxurious iPhone 5s, however, we also want to make sure we provide the BEST options. Although you have the option to cancel the line with the iPhone 4 and start a new contract, I am not sure if that would be something that I would encourage. You would not be able to keep that number once the line is disconnected. Also, there would be an  unnecessary ETF, and who wants to pay that? Check out some information with the link provided to determine if there are better solutions for you to get into that brand new device. We are here to help if you need us to review your account.  http://bit.ly/VCIAGA

Bernard_A
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I won't be doing that, thank you for the response.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bernard.A,

We want you to have the phone you desire, I know how important that is. We have great holiday promotions and you may qualify to upgrade now with this, http://vz.to/19mc84j . I trust you will find it a great opportunity. Let us know what you think.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes