Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
mama23dogs
Legend

I See plenty of reasons to get an iPhone over an android.  Especially the iPhone 6 which can be used on any network.  Very important if you travel in Europe.

I feel I need to repeat - excessive data usage is not always a user fixable problem.  It is sometimes a problem with the iPhone.  A full reset to factory and setup as new with backup can sometime fix the problem (which seems to be with updates). Other times the only fix is to replace the phone.

I Don't travel and prefer my Note 3, my choice.  However my house is full of Apple tech.  I love Apple stuff.  Best computer, router and tablet for my money.

Not applicable

Eadur wrote:

1. I know and understand that there is nothing that Verizon can do. That was why I was looking for an answer elsewhere mostly.

2. And yes, I have pointed it out to her that she should have gotten a Droid MAXX 16GB like me. I do not have any issues with my phone. Yet, she wanted an iPhone like various members of our family have. ...

The answer lies with Apple. Apple feels every decision they make it right so I would not expect a change from Apple. They feel turning off wi-fi is a good idea because it saves battery which is actually not true. 4G uses more battery than wi-fi. So having wi-fi on and 4G off uses less battery but Apple are the geniuses supposedly. They know what's best for you, supposedly. Their "our way or the highway" approach is why I prefer non Apple products

Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

If anyone here believes the iPhone has some data issues, then why are you here on a Verizon forum? Why not go to an iPhone forum for answers? There's some good ones, and you'll see knowledgeable people who can help you sift through these problems. Try iMore.com or iPF.net. Both are great forums. Also everythingicafe.com. You want to know about iPhones? Go to the iPhone forums.

0 Likes
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

I can list Android data usage problems as well.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/people/hoodfive%40aol.com

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/291768-galaxy-s4-android-os-using-too-much-data-h...

http://androidandme.com/thread/android-os-crazy-data-usage/

https://gigaom.com/2011/05/31/android-smartphones-consume-more-data-heres-why/

The point is it's not Verizon nor the phone. If you want to learn about how to deal with data issues, go to the iPhone forums or the Android forums. You won't find your answers here on this Verizon forum.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Ironic that you should post answers where one should not seek answers.  Clever.

0 Likes
Not applicable

He has a point. When you actually give answers here people don't like them and thus dismiss them. The only acceptable answer seems to be "give me unlimited data so I don't have to worry how much data my phone uses". of course millions of phones using data unnecessarily would cause congestion issues on the network. So it's best if people actually learn about their devices and how to use them properly. Even people with unlimited data.

mama23dogs
Legend

IT is an Apple problem, not the carrier!  ( For the record, this problem happens with iPhones on all carriers )

IF restricting most apps to using wifi has not helped reduce data use, your phone has a problem.

Option 1.  Reset your phone to factory ( please backup first ). Then set up as new with your backup.

Option 2.  Make an appointment with Apple to repair or replace your phone.

Link to Apple support website. 

Welcome | Apple Support Communities

or Google it..

laritn

I've had an iphone 5c for a year and recently added 2 more lines. I rarely had data usage at all until this billing cycle. Data being used while we are asleep and during the day while we have wifi. I called verizon and was told it is app updates using data! I have read many posts and it seems this is a major issue. Should I take phones to a Verizon rep to find a solution?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Iphones revert to cellular when on, asleep and not plugged in to power.  best to plug in over night.

apps do not need to update on cellular, that's nonsense!  in settings, turn cellular data "Off" for the App Store .

check each phone to see which phone and which apps are using excess cellular data.  Restrict those apps to wifi by turning cellular off.

email and social networking apps have settings within the app to limit use over cellular.

as I wrote in earlier posts, test each phone by turning cellular off and see if you can use internet services over wifi.  If not, reset wifi connection or take the phone in for repair.  The most recent update will hopefully fix both wifi/cellular issues and battery drain issues.

0 Likes
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

1. In a nut shell, turn off Cellular Data whenever you can. Check each phone to see which phone and apps are using excessive Cellular Data, and restrict those apps accordingly to use WiFi by turning Cellular Data off to them. And keep your iPhone connected to a power source as much as possible. For my wife and I, keeping her iPhone connected to a power source whenever she can, has helped us the most of all.

2. Also understand, that by design the cell towers store or collect most Cellular Data Usage for like six-hours, before releasing it to the Verizon Servers to be recorded as usage. This means that you can not trust the date/time stamp of your Cellular Data Usage as being the exact date/time of your Cellular Data Usage. This was hard for me to understand at first, but I have since then learned that this is the case in point.