Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wow! That is a lot of data, AZVerizon. Faster service can mean faster access to data, so there's usually at least a small increase with 4G LTE devices because you can access about 10 times the websites in the same amount of time as 1 website on 3G. But Apple products are also designed to turn off WiFi when they're dormant. So if he's connecting to WiFi a majority of the time, please check the Cellular Data settings through Settings>Cellular on his iPhone and see what services has Cellular Data turned on. You'll also be able to get a glimpse at what's using the most data there. Turning off Cellular Data for things like email and web can significantly reduce the data used. Also, try the previous suggestion to make sure he doesn't have an email stuck in his outbox. That can continue to send and cause unintentional data usage.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
dkuntzi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll actually be able to turn the phone back on 2/7/14, the first day of the new cycle and start to monitor the usage again.  The phone has been turned off for 2 weeks in fear of the data overage.  My daughter used 1 GB of data per month with her old HTC that she used for 2 years, this iPhone will use over 1 GB data per week.  Hopefully turning it into a dumb phone will reduce the data usage, but then what is the purpose of having this iPhone? We will probably switch it back to her old phone with lessoned learned, at least the HTC still can be used as a smart phone.  Those with the iPhone 4 don't have the issue, so Apple screwed something up with their new iPhones and only Verizon is big enough to pressure them to fix the issue.  I have ran into dozen's of people where I work that are complaining about the same issue with these newer iPhones.

0 Likes
Kimon
Enthusiast - Level 1

When at home or a place where there is Wi-Fi she needs to go in and under settings and Cellular and turn off Cellular data, which will restrict all data to Wi-Fi.  She can also select what apps she wants to use cellular data on.  I am having the same problem too since switching to the iphone 5c and this is what I have done to help.

0 Likes
clsscvnd
Enthusiast - Level 1

The money I spent to buy this phone for my daughter, and the I phone 4s was free?  Wow, if someone had told me that this phone would increase my data usage by more than double (and, yes, it has) I wouldn't have bought it.

I read these posts and the answers from the Verizon Employees and it shocks me.  Verizon Knows this phone is using more Data and doesn't want to correct it.  Why?  Because it is increasing their bottom line at the same time it empties our wallets.

HEY VERIZON!!!  We see through your smokescreen!!!   Fix this problem!!   Do it now, before I decide to end my relationship with your company.  Oh, what was that, a TV ad that just said it'll pay for my disconnection fees?  really???? 

Look, I've already got one foot out the door.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's important to stress this is an Apple problem, NOT a Verizon wireless problem.

It could be addressed with a more permanent, workable solution in the Apple Community forums.

0 Likes
Kimon
Enthusiast - Level 1

On her phone in settings turn off LTE. It can cause data issues big time. I called verizon today and was transferred many times and eventually to Apple software. I suggest you call that number, but use a different phone, not hers. They can help you. The number is 800-275-2273. He had me go under general and reset and under reset click on the first option and reset all settings. The phone will not lose anything doing this. Then when the phone turns back on go under Wi-Fi and turn it back on. Now for the next 24 hours we are monitoring my usage to see if that fixes the problem. Apparently the iPhone 5c has been disconnecting from the Wi-Fi and has been using cellular data when it should be using Wi-Fi. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone

tarrigo1

I HAD BEEN WITH ALLTEL FOR 15 YEARS.  MY DAUGHTER (ADULT)  HAD A DROID FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS WITH 2G OF DATA AND NEVER ONCE WENT OVER HER USUAGE.  WE MOVED TO ANOTHER COUNTY AND DID NOT HAVE ALLTEL SERVICE SO WALKED INTO A VERIZON STORE.  BOY THEY WERE SO HAPPY TO SELL US 2 I PHONE 5CS WITH 4G OF DATA.  WAS TOLD THAT IS ALL WE SHOULD NEED.  NEVER ONCE MENTIONED THE PROBLEM THAT I NOW SEE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH.  6 DAYS GO BY AND SO DID OUR USUAGE..  I ADDED 2G MORE OF DATA.  NOW I HAVE ALMOST 2 WEEKS UNTIL MY FIRST MONTH IS OVER AND GUESS WHAT?  YEP OUT OF DATA AGAIN.  HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?  I HAVE CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE BUT THEY ARE NO HELP.  ONE GAL EVEN TOLD ME TO GO TO APPLE STORE AND GET TASK KILLER.  GUESS WHAT?  APPLE STORE DOES NOT HAVE AN APP LIKE THAT AS IT FOR DROIDS.  SO MY FIRST MONTH OF A 2 YEAR CONTRACT IS NOT EVEN OVER AND I AM FRUSTRATED THAT I CAN GET NO HELP, I AM GOING BROKE AND NOT EVEN PAID THE FIRST BILL.  NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE TO TURN OFF THE PHONES AND NOT USE THEM FOR 2 WEEKS.  MY 14 DAYS IS OVER SO I AM STUCK..  I HAD HEARD SUCH GOOD THINGS ABOUT VERIZON BUT I DONT SEE IT.  IT WOULD BE CHEAPER FOR ME TO BUY OUT THIS PLAN, MOVE BACK TO ALLTEL TERRITORY.  APPLE AND VERIZON NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER AND SOON.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tarrigo1,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a rough first month of service. We want to make sure that you are on the best plan possible. We usually see data go higher than normal when you first get a phone because you are downloading new applications and getting use to the phone. Do you have wifi at any location that you use? 4G LTE data can go faster because it is a faster speed. It allows you to do more. When you watch videos they can be in high definition which will use more data. We encourage to shut off your cellular data when you are not using the data on the phone or are in wifi. Here are the steps http://vz.to/Ms0CeH

RobinD_VZW
VZW Support

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rnjsb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue with data usage. I added my daughter to our plan and her 5c is causing a huge up in our data. My BF and I never used more than 2gb of data per month. The first week I got a notice that 50% of data was used. We had to increase our plan to 12GB of data from 2GB. I took your advice and turned off my cellular data  but when I was connected to WIFI i couldn't use the phone at all. Couldn't even text without  turning it on. At this point we"re ready to pay the cancellation fee and leave Verizon. Ive been a customer since 2002!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rnjsb- You have been with us for a long time and we don't want to see you go. We know that monitoring data usage is important and going from 2GB to 12GB is a huge jump. If you turned on wifi  (with cellular data off) and your data isn't working that means there is a problem with your wifi connection. Have there been any updates on your phone?

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes