Re: Since iOS 8.1 update my phone now shows extended coverage only. Help!!
Genenaples
Enthusiast - Level 2

Being in extended mode's very basic definition is Roaming. Years ago when you were outside of your home network you used other towers whether in your providers network or other providers towers. Back then you typically paid extra fees for Roaming and for air time. Today (2014) there is no such thing as that type of roaming with the big providers. Everyone gets nationwide calling and no Roaming fees. Now I cant speak for small pre paid phones or companies that provide ultra local service only. I am talking about Spring - Verizon - AT&T - those providers, so if you have on of the big providers the answer is no - no extra fees when you see Extended. In certain areas and with certain iPhones generally 5S or less after the 8.1 update you will see extended more often. It does mean that you are on other providers towers or Roaming but as you get a stronger Verizon tower it should switch over. I  have also read that there are some people's 5S phones that will not say Verizon even in a Verizon store. If I can read between the lines of the tech blogs and what I have learned from both Apple and Verizon, there is a bug or glitch with 8.1 that will be fixed with the next update.

hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info!!

iphonerunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for bringing this to our attention since the software update.  Please go to Settings-->Cellular-->Enable LTE--> choose Voice and Data.
If this does not resolve the issue, our technical support team will need to file a ticket to the engineers for further investigation.

As the device shows "Extended" you will not incur any additional charges.

Apple is aware of the notification and they are working on an update to correct this for the people who are affected.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for the response! Unfortunately, your directions do not apply for an iphone 5s as the settings are different. Once in settings-cellular-  the only option is to toggle on/off "enable LTE". There is not a further option past this for voice and data. Please see picture attachment. Please let me know if there is as fix for someone with an iphone 5s. Thanks again for your response in this matter. cellphone.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks, hog66!  You're correct, the steps I provided are for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Thanks for the screenshot!
Since you do not have the option, we will need to have a ticket filed for the iPhone 5S.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks!

0 Likes
AprilSteph

I am also having the same issue with my 5c since the IOS update.  Am I still getting the 4G LTE service I am paying for while I am waiting for the "fix" and the "ticket" to be filed?

Thanks!

0 Likes
WasK4qbq

I was told by Verizon ( after they contacted Apple ) that the problem is in the Apple software and the phone is showing extended but it's not in extended mode. The displayed information is not correct. Maybe the next update of Apple software will fix the problem.

0 Likes
confusedjoey

I'm having the same issues, will follow this post for future info.

0 Likes