Replace my phone?
Kalfieri08

My iPhone 5 volume down button does not work any more. I bought it on April 4 of this year so it is still under warranty. How do I replace it for a new phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replace my phone?
rcschnoor
Legend

Sounds to me like you need to get it replaced under Apple's warranty commitment under US Consumer regs and laws. You can take it back to Apple because they have to remedy your electronic or physical malfunction as long as it wasn't caused by you for 12mos from original purchase. Or you can contact Verizon to get them to submit a warranty claim on your behalf in which they pay for the shipping to get you a working device. There is no charge as long as you're not sending back a damaged phone once they send you a working one.

Speaking from experience here about the ONLY time I have ever returned a phone for a warranty replacement, I returned a Droid X because it would not boot up past the Motorola "M" after hitting the power button. I got another Droid X as replacement which worked perfectly for the next 16 months until I upgraded and the phone I returned was promptly reported as received by the Verizon warranty department without any charges against my account.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Unless you have Apple Care you cannot. Under the manufacturer warranty if defective (no damage) you call Verizon and they send you a secound hand junk (Certified Like New-Refurbished) Not new.

If you have supplement insurance from Asurion you call them and pay a huge deductible and they will send you a second hand junk, or on occasion a new one. But expect the refurbished device.

Good Luck

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Take it to an Apple Store.

They will examine it and let you know whether or not it is covered by warranty.

If you get a replacement, as noted above, it will not be a "new" phone.  It will be a refurbished phone.  Refurbished iPhones are not "junk", however.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Any phone that is returned for any malfunction is "junk" having said that the new owner may get one that was actually repaired. if it was not repaired properly you end up with a different phone issue. Google how many people have worse luck with the replacement than they did with their old device.

Good Luck

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Sounds to me like you need to get it replaced under Apple's warranty commitment under US Consumer regs and laws. You can take it back to Apple because they have to remedy your electronic or physical malfunction as long as it wasn't caused by you for 12mos from original purchase. Or you can contact Verizon to get them to submit a warranty claim on your behalf in which they pay for the shipping to get you a working device. There is no charge as long as you're not sending back a damaged phone once they send you a working one.

Speaking from experience here about the ONLY time I have ever returned a phone for a warranty replacement, I returned a Droid X because it would not boot up past the Motorola "M" after hitting the power button. I got another Droid X as replacement which worked perfectly for the next 16 months until I upgraded and the phone I returned was promptly reported as received by the Verizon warranty department without any charges against my account.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have never returned my personal phones. I just buy brand new since I have read so many horror stories about refurbished devices having same or worse problems. Years ago for my agency I would drop the devices off to the corporate store and they would fix them there. but not any devices of today. you remember the ones that had just calling and Verizons mobile web and were simple devices. Not the mini computer phones of today.

We have come a long way.

rcschnoor wrote:

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'll be happy to help with your iPhone volume down button Kalfieri08. As long as there is no physical or liquid damage to your device, this should be covered under warranty. To get a warranty replacement, you can either call 800-922-0204, visit a corporate store, or reply to my direct message with your name and mobile number.

Thanks,
MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes