Refurbished Phone Given as NEW
Nagreenwood92
Enthusiast - Level 1

I paid for a new device with Verizon and was issued a refurbished one. There's visible signs ; multiple Apple Id's , random text messages, frozen screen...etc I also did a port change from another carrier and I am not receiving all my text messages and calls. I dished out all of this money for a used device with internal and external issues ...etc There's needs to be a resolution?

Labels (2)
Re: Refurbished Phone Given as NEW
julieharp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree!!! If we purchase a new phone, pay ins every month, and end up with a claim one day....... Why do we get refurbished phones? And have a deductible to pay on top of that!!!!!!

Weth
Legend

If you paid for a new phone out of box you absolutely should get a new phone when first purchasing.  However, if you have insurance and the phone breaks at one point, you now have a used phone and replacing with a used refurbished is like for like. 

IF you first purchased and the phone was used, go back to the store immediately and demand exchange for new. if it was a warranty exchange, used phone is expected. 

0 Likes
julieharp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree, if I caused it to break..... Dropped in water, etc.... But if I take excellent care of my stuff, not a scratch on it, I don't download, view or go anywhere that's not well known and legit, I have virus protection, etc..... And my phone freezes, shuts off and never comes back..... That's not my issue. If I buy a flat screen, purchase an extended warranty, I'm getting a new flat screen!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It's still a used phone. It is not going to change the Verizon policy. Unless you have insurance that specifically indicates used replacement will be with new product, in almost all cases you will get a refurbished product after the 14 days.

Tidbits
Legend

There's a difference between a phone and a TV. Due to shipping its cheaper for them to replace the TV than to ship it back and forth. Also the TV manufacturer reimburse the retailer. When it comes to phones it cheaper for the manufacturers to refurbish them and send them back to the carrier. Also for the iPhone you go to Apple YOU'LL GET A REFURBISHED from Apple themselves even if it appears to be a factory sealed box. Google Nexus it'll flat out say refurbished with the way they do things.

0 Likes
julieharp
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're right, big difference.... Phone is much more important. Regardless of all the ins,  outs,  if's, why's, etc...... If I pay for a new phone, you insure it, it faulters on its own at no fault to me, I get what I paid for unless I was told different from the beginning. If you make this clear, I agree and still want your insurance...... At least we are on the same page and no one is being deceived. Why would you punish me when I did absolutely nothing except take excellent care of my device and pay you on time??? I know its all about the dollar, I know how the world works but the ones who keep their morals will make the long haul.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I don't work for Verizon, and I don't see anything with ripping you off or morals on this one.

Used broken phone => Used fixed phone

Same with car

Totaled  used car => Insurance payments on value of that used car to buy an equivalent used car, not a brand new car of the same type.

If you were guaranteed a new phone on warranty, unfortunately you will have many people having a "broken" phone 23 months into the contract. If they got a new phone, they would sell it for huge profit then upgrade. It makes no logical sense to replace used with new.

julieharp
Enthusiast - Level 3

You just proved my case..... Thanks! As I stated many times, I should get what I paid for.... A phone that was in pristine shape as far as I could control. As you said, even with a car, they look at it, judge how much they'll give you by mileage, etc.... And they give you what's average. We're not talking a phone with 100,000 miles on it...... It is about morals.... I have watched employees take advantage of elderly people who really don't understand what they're telling them when they start using the lingo...next thing they know is they got a 200.00 a month bill and all they do is talk to their kids and play a couple games. And yes, that does fall on Verizon..... An employee is responsible for its employer as much as an employer is responsible for its employee. In my line of work I sometimes have to "dumb down" my words, but I will do anything to make the person clear and sure about what they are doing. I would never want to half-inform, misinform or worse deceivingly uninform a customer. A customer chooses you ....... Appreciate them and try to keep them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Used car they fix the car. Its not like you can ship it and get a brand new replacement. They don't give you a new car. No matter what that car is USED. This has been beaten with a stick for years. Show me one carrier that does what you think Verizon should do. Show me a phone manufacturer that does what TV manufacturers do when it comes to warranties. You'll be hard pressed to find one.