Questions regarding swapping upgrade for iPhone 5
dgiannotti
Enthusiast - Level 2

What I have:

iPhone 4s bought on launch day last year. Unlimited data.  Upgrade eligible on 6/14/13.

My dad's dumb-phone.  Eligible for upgrade now.

Call me crazy, but I am camping out for the iPhone 5 at my local apple store.  I called customer support the other day and I was given these instructions to upgrade and keep my unlimited data:

-Buy iPhone 5 as upgrade for my dads dumb-phone, and sign contract (At apple store on the 21st)

-Wait one day, (to make unlimited data "stick")

-Deactivate my iPhone 4s, swap iPhone 5 to that line.

-Reactivate my dads dumb-phone to his original line.

I am wondering if this process will keep my unlimited data (what the verizon rep told me), and basically keep everything the way it was originally except for my line having the 5.  Also, will there be any fees from this process (I won't pay an early termination fee for the 4s, will I?).

Thanks a lot!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Questions regarding swapping upgrade for iPhone 5
dgiannotti
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anybody have any ideas/problems with my instructions???

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Only problem I see is you will have to get a new LTE-SIM for the iPhone 5 to make it work on your line.  I believe these are free at Verizon stores (maybe even Apple stores) and need to be coded for your line/number.

No you should not incur an ETF from your 4s.

Good luck.

0 Likes
dgiannotti
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much. The only other question I am wondering is if my dad's line will be sucked into a 2 year contract with a data plan. He does not need the data because he has a basic phone.

0 Likes
ashleyhn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't think so.  I've switched plans like that before and did not get stuck with the data plan.

0 Likes
rusavvy

Can you let us know how this works out for you once you get the phone?  I am wanting to do this as well. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Hopefully you are an account manager on your Dad's account or he is with you when you do this. I guess we'll find out soon.

0 Likes
meganshiree129
Enthusiast - Level 2

From what I've gathered, the nano sim cards are re-usable. You dont have to get a new one for a number change or transfer. I have talked to a few reps about it. I'd call a CSR and talk with them about it! Smiley Happy I know in my area nano sims are not easy to find!

0 Likes
dgiannotti
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late response.  The campout was successful, I was first in line.  After talking to a verizon rep, then customer service twice, and then a trip to my local verizon store yesterday, I got five different answers.  Finally I went to the verizon store again this morning.  Apparently I had to wait 24 hours, contrary to what the verizon rep said, and the worker at the store this morning said that Apple hasn't given them any SIM cards for the iPhone 5 yet.  She had to use her computer because the kiosk didn't work, but finally everything is working as expected (she used the SIM tied to my dads number and changed it to my number).  I also didn't incur any fees for dropping the 4s or signing contract with my dad's basic phone.

So basically if you try this yourself, be patient with verizon workers, and wait 24 hours after you get the phone.  One CS Rep I spoke with said there is lots of confusion because the iPhone 5 is so new and Apple hasn't been clear about policies and procedures yet.

Anyway, it was all worth it because I have unlimited LTE now.  Good luck with your own escapades!

0 Likes
rusavvy

So you had to activate the iPhone 5 on your dad's line first?

0 Likes