Ported number to tmobile
kartd
Enthusiast - Level 2

hi,

I upgraded (started new contract) about a week back to iphone 5s. I am happy with a 16GB and the cost was $199 for it. Within a week of the upgrade (that is <14 days), I ported my number to a different carrier. I understand that I should pay the ETF of $350. Along with this, will I have to pay the remaining cost of the iphone or is the $350 the only amount that I will have to pay?

I read somewhere that the iphone may be blocked till I pay the ETF. I am happy to pay off the ETF right after I get the bill. Will the block be lifted right after (a day or two) I pay off the bill?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Ported number to tmobile
Not applicable

T-Mobile will pay off your ETF if you joined after a certain date. Up to $350 you need to pay the ETF first, submit it via either the web or email or snail mail.

You do have to turn the iPhone in to them and buy one at full price. However a new iPhone is traded in at $300 so you would pay the balance of the device over 24 months.

The basic everything plan with unlimited talk, text, and unlimited data w/2.5 GB of monthly tethering is $70 plus tax and surcharges. They also give corporate discounts if eligible.

Good Luck

0 Likes
kartd
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for the reply. I dont want to hand over a 700 dollar device to them and buy it again.

My question is whether I have to pay verizon anything more than the ETF of $350?  I am willing to do it!!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't believe you would owe any more than ETF and any service charges up to the day you port.

However verizon will probably give you a hard time unlocking the device.

Google it and see what others have said. You actually paid $199 the value is $700

Good Luck

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The Verizon iPhone 5s is already unlocked.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I did not know that. I just paid full price for one with no contract. Had to keep my unlimited data.

I wonder if that is true for all carriers Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile?

I have read that they were unlocked for use outside the USA but not for use with US carriers.

However people have stated it will function on AT&T and T-Mobile but not on Sprint. And the iPhone 5s only works on Sprint.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5345121

Good Luck

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

On Sprint and AT&T, they are definitely locked.  Sprint will not unlock them (reportedly).  AT&T will but only under certain circumstances.

The TMobile one has been reported to be unlocked if purchased from an Apple store but locked if purchased from TMobile.  But there have been varied reports.

The iPhone 4s if unlocked will only work outside the US, but the iPhone 5 and 5s will work domestically for GSM providers.

As with Verizon, nothing will work on Sprint except Sprint devices.

0 Likes