Order iPhone 5s online and do unlimited data plan swap later?
SpikingGourd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgive me if this question has already been asked:

I'm looking to upgrade to 5s (from Droid incredible).  I have unlimited data plan. My wife has a flip phone and will stay with dumb phone.  We are both eligible for an upgrade, and are planning to do the swap described elsewhere where she gets the smart phone and a data plan with her upgrade, I get the dumb phone with my upgrade, and then we trade phones and she cancels the data plan.

Question is: can this be accomplished (or more likely started) by reserving the iphone 5s online instead of going to a store?  Is it as simple as ordering the phone for her number through the Verizon website (or Apple's?), and then once it arrives, heading to the Verizon store for all the swapping and purchase of new flip phone?

Thanks to anyone who an help!  In the end, I don't need the iphone immediately.  But would hate to haves to wait too long, and concerned about stock levels and driving all over town chasing phones.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Order iPhone 5s online and do unlimited data plan swap later?
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Ann154 is correct. That will not work.

This is what I would do: Upgrade to the iPhone on your wife's line. You can order it online and activate it right through My Verizon online when it comes to your house. You must activate it on her line first to accept the contract terms and conditions.

Do NOT use your line to upgrade to a basic phone; buy your wife a basic phone off contract. You can find them reasonably priced on many retail and auction sites.

Move the iPhone to your line, which keeps its unlimited data, and activate the off-contract basic phone on your wife's line.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't use your (unlimited) line's upgrade ever. If you do, you will forfeit the unlimited data plan for the individual tiered data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Ann154 is correct. That will not work.

This is what I would do: Upgrade to the iPhone on your wife's line. You can order it online and activate it right through My Verizon online when it comes to your house. You must activate it on her line first to accept the contract terms and conditions.

Do NOT use your line to upgrade to a basic phone; buy your wife a basic phone off contract. You can find them reasonably priced on many retail and auction sites.

Move the iPhone to your line, which keeps its unlimited data, and activate the off-contract basic phone on your wife's line.

SpikingGourd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to both of you.  Very helpful.

Any advantage to ordering from Verizon on this?  Is that the only way to get it on contract (ie cheaper)?  If I can do it for the renewal price (my wife's upgrade is available) on the Apple site, that's what I'll do.  Seems like they will have more inventory. 

Is ordering it from Verizon even possible?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You can order it on contract and for the same price from either Apple or Verizon. The Apple store simply has you enter your carrier and phone number to determine upgrade eligibility. Do you have an Apple store near you? That is convenient if you need help with anything. If the nearest Apple store is an hour or more away, then I'd probably order from Verizon. Maybe some more experienced Apple users can jump in here and better inform you on this though. Enjoy!

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

In giving this more thought ... Does anyone know if someone orders from Apple using an upgrade on one line, if there is a problem later putting the iPhone on another line?

0 Likes
SpikingGourd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks SydneyK.

I've moved phones from one line to another before on my own, so that doesn't entirely concern me.  I guess the bigger question is whether Verizon would cancel the data plan readily on temporary iPhone line.

Also, I'm of the mind that the Apple store will sell out.  That's why I was planning on ordering tonight when they phones are available online.  But I won't do that if it's a bad idea.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Verizon is selling the 5S online tonight, too, starting at midnight Pacific time. You shouldn't have any problems with the lines. Your line won't change, and nothing will be done to your wife's line until she activates the phone (temporarily). Ordering through Apple won't change your Verizon plan. Unless I'm missing something, it should be smooth sailing!

0 Likes
SpikingGourd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually forgot to check online ordering from Verizon, but did it through Apple.  Fingers crossed.  Thanks again.

0 Likes