No voice mail notifications on new iPhone5
phil360
Enthusiast - Level 2

We received our two iPhone5s a week ago. We've received voice mails, but no voice mail notification appears on the iPhone5. We get notices of missed calls, but not voice mails. We've tested it several times, but no go. Are we supposed to call voice mail every time we have a missed call?

One previous suggestion said to activate it through Verizon voice mail, #4 and then #1. But that just changes your voice mail password.

Any suggestions from someone who knows what's going on here?

-- Phil

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No voice mail notifications on new iPhone5
phil360
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Ann.

I called customer support who, after half an hour, called tech support who, after half an hour, called Apple.

Tech support then reset voice mail and, half an hour later, opened up a ticket. Tickets usually get worked on within three days, he says.

This could be a frustrating experience, but the Verizon people are all very easy to talk with. This is how problems should be handled; it's just too bad that this is one of the more difficult ones.

And we may yet take up your suggestion of going to an Apple store. Thanks for that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you setup your voicemail when you activated the iPhones? The Apple iPhone uses a visual voicemail system managed by Apple's servers. It isn't connected to the Verizon Wireless voicemail system.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
phil360
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I don't recognize what you're talking about, I googled it. Here's Apple:

"In order to receive Visual Voicemail messages, you must first set up voicemail on your iPhone. When you tap Phone > Voicemail, follow the on-screen prompts to set up Visual Voicemail. If iPhone dials your voicemail instead, listen to the prompts to set up voicemail.

If you are unable to set up Visual Voicemail, contact your carrier to verify that your carrier offers this feature. If your carrier offers Visual Voicemail but you can't complete the setup, contact your carrier to verify that voicemail has been configured properly."

When I tap Phone > Voicemail, I do not get prompts to set up voicemail. I just get option 4 to change my password, personal greeting, or language.

You say Apple manages this. Apple says Verizon manages this.

Does Verizon offer Visual Voicemail?

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is Apple's system. Verizon Wireless does offer Visual Voicemail, but you would have a monthly charge to use it on any other phone besides an Apple device. Which you switched from your previous phone to the iphone, it doesn't always change the voicemail feature correctly on Verizon's side of the system. You have to call customer service to get the feature reset or you can try an Apple Store for assistance. I know that is what someone I know had to do when they got their iphone since the device refused to let them setup their voicemail.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
phil360
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Ann.

I called customer support who, after half an hour, called tech support who, after half an hour, called Apple.

Tech support then reset voice mail and, half an hour later, opened up a ticket. Tickets usually get worked on within three days, he says.

This could be a frustrating experience, but the Verizon people are all very easy to talk with. This is how problems should be handled; it's just too bad that this is one of the more difficult ones.

And we may yet take up your suggestion of going to an Apple store. Thanks for that.

0 Likes
phil360
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, on the morning of Jan 11, Visual Voice Mail magically started working. I guess Verizon figured out a way to do it.

But they fixed only one of our two phones on the support ticket. They didn't fix the second one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi phil360,

I know how important it is to have a reliable voicemail system. I apologize for all the issues you have encountered with the voicemail service on your devices. I see (as per your latest post) that one of the your phones' voicemail is now working (as of 1/11/13). If you still need assistance with the second device please follow me and send me a direct message including your account number and the wireless number for which voicemail needs to be corrected and I will review the account for proper settings. No need to send me a direct message if issue has been resolved by now. Have a wonderful evening!

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
phil360
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ticket was closed, so the user of the second phone called and went through first and second tier support. Fortunately, she had the first ticket number to reference so it went a bit faster than the two hours I spent on the project.

Her phone is now working.

The issue is resolved and the question is answered.

0 Likes