No service (or very bad service) in places where it should be there?
enicholson287

Over the course of the past week or so, I've noticed that I rarely ever have service. This happens a lot at home because I live in a very rural area, but these days, I'll go downtown or visit friends' houses, college campuses, and other places where I've had service in the past--and it'll be spotty at best. In the top left corner of my phone, I'll usually see "No service", "Verizon" with a couple of bars and a little circle next to it, or "Verizon LTE" and no bars at all.

As I said, this is happening pretty much everywhere I go, but my phone has no problem connecting to wifi. I can use apps that require internet connection (like Facebook) but it usually takes me several tries to send a text. Calling doesn't work at all.  Turning airplane mode on and off again will usually improve my service for a minute or so, but then it'll stop working again.  Is there a reason my phone won't get service in a place where there obviously should be service?

Also--I read a similar discussion about this, and someone suggested taking the SIM card out and putting it back in or buying a new one.  I'm not quite sure how to tell if my contacts, etc. are saved to the phone and not the card itself.  Will I lose all the data stored in my apps if I do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No service (or very bad service) in places where it should be there?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Resetting the network by taking the SIM card out and putting it back in will likely solve your issue... but here's a simpler "trick" that may work as well.  It'snot really a trick, but my son was having issues with his iPhone and I suggested just powering it down and restarting it (like a computer reboot).  He was surprised that performance immediately improved...

If you are like most smartphone owners, you rarely turn the phone fully off - the screen goes black and the phone "sleeps", but it's not totally OFF.  Rebooting it clears a lot of stuff out of memory (no settings or saved info though) and it runs better after a restart.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

You won't lose anything if you do that.

Your data is stored on your phone not on the SIM card.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You also don't need to buy a SIM card ... they are free at your local Corporate Verizon store.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Resetting the network by taking the SIM card out and putting it back in will likely solve your issue... but here's a simpler "trick" that may work as well.  It'snot really a trick, but my son was having issues with his iPhone and I suggested just powering it down and restarting it (like a computer reboot).  He was surprised that performance immediately improved...

If you are like most smartphone owners, you rarely turn the phone fully off - the screen goes black and the phone "sleeps", but it's not totally OFF.  Rebooting it clears a lot of stuff out of memory (no settings or saved info though) and it runs better after a restart.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

enicholson287- Greetings! We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your device. To answer your question, you can get a new sim and your contacts and info can be saved to your device, backup assitant, or various cloud services etc. Before you take that route, tell us what type of phone you have.

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes