No real LTE on Iphone 5
Jeter9212
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I have four lines with upgrades available and we all wanted to get the NEW iphone 5. The company that I work for distributes the iphone. We house the apple products, all from iPad to mac computers to the new iphone. The cool part is that we were allowed to play with one yesterday. One thing that we all noticed was that the LTE antenna they claim the iphone has we did not see it. We tried a couple of things on it and we were all shocked to see that we couldn't use the WEB and make a call. I thought LTE could do that. So my question is, Why does Apple claim that the iphone is LTE if you cant surf the web and make a call. I was really anxious to get the phone, now im not that excited. We also didn't like how some applications look in the long screen. The battery didnt last that much either. My work phone is a iphone 4s and my personal is an iphone 4. I was using all three at the same time and the battery drained faster on the 5 than the 4s. I think I will have to make the move to the darkside and see what android phone is out there or wait to see what Windows phone comes to verizon. To me this iphone is a disappointment.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No real LTE on Iphone 5
fayemegan
Enthusiast - Level 3

A.) 4g will always drain a battery

B.) Just because you cant chat and surf the web, does not mean its not LTE

0 Likes
Jeter9212
Enthusiast - Level 2

fayemegan:

A.) 4g will always drain a battery: That it will but i think the battery is not that good. I know that android has worst batteries but i have always liked the long battery life in my iphones.

B.) Just because you cant chat and surf the web, does not mean its not LTE. You do have to admit that this is one huge drawback. I know i will not use it all the time but its good to know that is there. Plus one of my employees has a Galaxy 3 and when you put two of them together they can transfer files and when we tried it on the iphone it doesnt do it. Why?

0 Likes
closhedbb

Galaxy S3 has NFC, near field communication, which enables those transfers.  It's like a lower powered bluetooth which only works in very close proximity for things like file transfers or any other kind of information/data exchange.

Also, no one on Verizon has ever been able to call and surf data at the same time unless you are on wifi.  CDMA has always had this limitation, so having the limitation in LTE won't change anything.  In order to have data and voice at the same time, you need to have two separate antennas.  The Verizon iPhone 5 (they actually make different phones for different carriers because of chip & antenna requirements) only has the one multi-use antenna, so no dual use.  Wifi uses a different antenna, so you can do voice and data if you are on a wifi connection, which for most people is a good chunk of time anyway.

0 Likes
fayemegan
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, actually its not.  If you are at home and need to do this, just get on your pc, and if you are in public, have fun letting others hear your conversation.  Seriously, i had att for a while with the iphone and never, not once used it.  Nor did my sister or brother.  Its not a drawback.    

And i currently have an s3.  Never used that feature once.  Why?  Because nobody else i know has an s3.  So i get along just fine.

Opinions are not draw backs

0 Likes
Jeter9212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Galaxy S3 can do calling and web at the same time. Im just frustated that we didnt get stuff like the rest of the phones have.

0 Likes
Jeter9212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe you dont use it and ill be honest i probably wont use it either. Like i said before its good to have it just in case.

0 Likes
fayemegan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just in case, maybe, but meh, not a big deal for me

0 Likes
Jeter9212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dont get me wrong i love my ipones but i do agree with you.

0 Likes
bomani1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Who cares about andriod phones we are all part of a family.

0 Likes