My son has used his data for the month. How can he text without using data and use the unlimited texting we are paying for?
Ramsfan59

My son has used his data for the month. We have unlimited texting. Is there a way for him to text using the texting plan?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My son has used his data for the month. How can he text without using data and use the unlimited texting we are paying for?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ramsfan59, with iPhone devices they would be able to message over data with Apple's feature called iMessaging. In this case if we would need to send messages normally and not use data you would simply want to turn the iMessage setting off. Take a look here to see how to change that setting on his phone http://vz.to/1wdyQoa.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

Re: My son has used his data for the month. How can he text without using data and use the unlimited texting we are paying for?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

What a great question, Ramsfan59! Your data and texting plan are completely separate so he can continue to text and it won't count towards his data.
If you have access to WiFi, have your son use that if he truly needs data service on the phone.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
Ramsfan59

Does he need to set something on his iPhone to be able to text? I have his data off via the Family Base.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ramsfan59, with iPhone devices they would be able to message over data with Apple's feature called iMessaging. In this case if we would need to send messages normally and not use data you would simply want to turn the iMessage setting off. Take a look here to see how to change that setting on his phone http://vz.to/1wdyQoa.

AdamG_VZW

rcschnoor
Legend

iPhones utilize a separate messaging system which bypasses SMS messages when available called iMessage. When sending a "text" to another iPhone enrolled in iMessages, the iPhone intercepts this message from the SMS system, which you have unlimited texts included in your plan, and sends it via "data" which you have shut off from your son. With cellular data turned off for your son, those iMessages would not be able to send/receive unless he was sending/receiving them via wifi until you turn his cellular data back on.

To get around this and have your son start using your "unlimited texting" included with your account, you would need to have him turn off iMessage on the phone.